Who's ready for a new Challenge Build?

Use at least one plate (size, shape, quantity, etc., are builder's choice) as the basis for a “Sci-Fi thing” build. <B>Deadline: 1 Sptember 2017</B>

Moderator: Moderators

Arronax
Location: Orlando FL (originally from England but I expect my accent gave me away, didn't it)

Post by Arronax »

Can I enter a model I already built that uses a plate?
Jim

---------------------
Something, something, something, donkey balls
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Arronax wrote:Can I enter a model I already built that uses a plate?
Well - the challenge is to build something. Why not build an improved version of what you already built? You know, the Mk II version.

:)
"Is Russian artillery. Is mostly on target."
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Well, the BLoSSM idea seems to have tanked, and badly.

Phooey.

With that in mind, I have revised the rules. Please read and comment

''Plates-In-Space'' Challenge – Amended Rules

1) Use at least one plate/platter/serving tray/charger (plate holder) (size, shape, quantity, etc., are builder's
choice) as the basis for a “Sci-Fi thing” build. It would be nice if the
plate was evident in the build.

2) Entrants will have one calendar year from 1 September, 2016 to
complete the build – but can bring it to WF2017 for extra
appreciation.

3) Entrants will supply their own judges, in the form of spouses, family
members, significant others, etc. One judge per entrant, please.
Entrants may not be Judges.

4) Because of Rule 3, Entrants must post pictures of their builds by 1
September, 2017, so the Judges can render their verdicts.
a) The verdicts should be rendered as quickly as possible, otherwise this will drag on for the next millennium.
b) Judges are to use the Entrant’s SSM log-in to post their findings in the Challenge forum. This will not only save the Judges from having to register with SSM, but will also serve as an indicator as to which Entrant the Judge “belongs”, if I may put it that way.

5) Each Judge may dispense as many votes as there are entrants.

6) The term “Sci-Fi Thing” includes any generally accepted
combination of science and fiction, from Star Base to hover-skates.

7) Entrants may use anything they wish in the build, so long as they
include at least one plate. Putty, found items, kit-bits, whole kits,
sealing-wax – whatever you wish is OK, with the exception of
animal products. That is because this is to be a construct, not a natural thing – no creatures-as-ships – ie, Moya & Talon from Farscape.

8) Entrants should post a picture of their chosen plate(s) before they
post any pictures of their build. ''In Progress'' photos will always be
appreciated but are not required.
Last edited by Scotaidh on Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dimitry
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Scotaidh wrote:whatever you wish is OK, with the exception of
animal products. That is because this is to be a construct, not a natural thing – no creatures-as-ships – ie, Moya & Talon from Farscape.
I want to question this. Why can't my Slartharian Star Empire intergalactic Wave Rider NOT be a living ship?
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Blappy wrote:
Scotaidh wrote:whatever you wish is OK, with the exception of
I want to question this. Why can't my Slartharian Star Empire intergalactic Wave Rider NOT be a living ship?
Well, it's a whim. I consider that what was done to Moya and Talon was cruel. Certainly what was done to Pilot was cruel.

Also, the Creepiness potential seemed huge - think Borg-level creepy
I also remember that one Iron Modeler had, as the Mystery Part, a tenticle or something - and the teams had a hard time developing that into a viable idea/model.

Plus, I consider that the creature-features on the Sci-Fi channel to be not really sci-fi - they're stupid at best and stupid horror at worst.

So. to reduce the Creepiness, Cruelty, and Stupid-Horror Potentials, I have asked that Entrants not use living animal-things in this build.

Now, if you wish to have wooden-framed leather-skinned ships, that's a different kettle of fish, and there's no limit. (I know leather is organic - but it's not alive anymore.)

However, if all the other Entrants agree with you to over-ride my whim, then of course, you may use whatever cruel and creepy horror you wish. I will note, however, that our very own Mad Genius has said he has a plate and a clock. :)
Dimitry
Paul Muad Dib

Post by Paul Muad Dib »

I've looked around, even online, and I can't find a plate that inspires me. I found a paper-plate holder that might be usable. Can that be considered a plate?

Now if you had said a bottle, I could crank out scratchbuilds all day. :8)
"My mind is going...I can feel it..."
-HAL
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Paul Muad Dib wrote:I've looked around, even online, and I can't find a plate that inspires me. I found a paper-plate holder that might be usable. Can that be considered a plate?

Now if you had said a bottle, I could crank out scratchbuilds all day. :8)
The "Drink container" has been done, which is why I went with plates. You do understand that the plate(s) may be sliced up as you wish, right?

Cut out the middle and use the rings; cut out a pie-slice, or a square, or a paisley.

Make the Plate Falcon, or a three-dish Enterprise; make a round chess-board, using chunks of cheese for the men; make an X-wing with half-circles for wings, make a full-disc Cylon covered with sheep (Cylon of the Lambs, anyone?), or even a <gulp> flying saucer. :oops:

Use a CD for that shiny look ... or paint one black and say it used dark matter storage technology. ;)

Make a lawnmower for the game Paranoia ...

Make a hover-tank, or a flying sub, or a Big Wheel.

Good Lord, man - what can you not make with a collection of circles?
Dimitry
Paul Muad Dib

Post by Paul Muad Dib »

"My mind is going...I can feel it..."
-HAL
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Sure! That's cool! :)
Dimitry
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

might need adhesion promoter to get paint and glue to stick to it. most of those are made of that rubbery plastic like the hasbro x wing and falcon. just a heads up.
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
onezero
Site Admin
Location: In my living room watching - but I am not laughing.

Post by onezero »

Scotaidh wrote:

A Borg Cube, for starters.

I don't think I saw it in the rules (though I'll admit I only read once through), so clarification - a plate on which someone would put food, not a photographic plate, or a hull plate, or ....
<*>
j
john lester
Starship Modeler

A hyphenated word and a non-hyphenated word walk into a bar and the bartender nearly chokes on the irony.
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

I've had these kicking around for years. They are about 14 inches across and made of Styrene so bonus on the material.

I'm in!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/952 ... llenge.jpg
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

onezero wrote:
Scotaidh wrote:

A Borg Cube, for starters.

I don't think I saw it in the rules (though I'll admit I only read once through), so clarification - a plate on which someone would put food, not a photographic plate, or a hull plate, or ....
You're right, John, I didn't really say. Sorry, all. I meant plates for food ... I'll go back and edit.

Vis-a-vee the Borg cube - I have seen some square plates out there, and nothing says you can't trim a round plate square. I plan on some major surgery to my dollar store plastic plates. :)
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Challenge Rules (amended)

''Plates-In-Space'' Challenge

1) Use at least one plate (size, shape, quantity, etc., are builder's choice) as the basis for a “Sci-Fi thing” build. It would be nice if the plate was evident in the build.

2) Entrants will have one calendar year from 1 September, 2016 to complete the build – but you can bring it to WF2017 for extra appreciation.

3) Each entrant must supply one Judge (not themselves). The Judge may be anyone, model-builder or not – mine is my lovely wife, Lori. She, not being a member of SSM, will need to generate her own SSM sign-up, so you will all know it isn't me pretending to be her. (Unless, of course, there is an objection from the owners of SSM, in which case you will all have to just trust me. :) )

4) Because of Rule 3, entrants must post pictures of their builds by 30 September, 2017, so the Judges can render their verdicts.

5) Each Judge will have as many votes to cast as there are entrants. How those votes are apportioned is entirely up to each Judge.

6) The term “Sci-Fi Thing” includes any generally accepted combination of science and fiction, from Star Base to hover-skates.

7) Entrants may use anything they wish in the build, so long as they include at least one plate. Putty, found items, kit-bits, whole kits, sealing-wax – whatever you wish is OK, with the exception of animal products.

8) Entrants should post a picture of their chosen plate(s) before they post any pictures of their build. ''In Progress'' photos will always be appreciated but are not required.

9) For the purposes of this Challenge, “plate” means something on which one might serve food.

10) For a (requested) additional level of difficulty, incorporate a bulldog clip (those black flat-metal clips with the silver folding handles) into your build.

11) I was asked about previously-built plate things. While I feel it would defeat the purpose of this Challenge to use something already completed, I would be glad if folks wanted to post pictures of previous work so long as they are clearly so identified and marked as Not To Be Judged.

12) The deadline is absolute - no extensions. However, anyone who wants to join but cannot meet the Start Date (1 Sep 2016) should feel free to jump in as soon as they can; just know that the deadline is solid, so you will have less time than the others. (However, seeing what some of you can crank out in mere days, I feel certain that this should not worry anyone.) This should not worry anyone - after all, each new Entrant means one more Judge to like your build, and also that each Judge will have one more point to dispense/award. :)

List of Entrants

1. Blappy
2. John O
3. Robiwon
4. Joseph C. Brown
5. Kylwell
6. Dr. Yo
7. Thom
8. Raser13
9. Lonewolf
10. Andy_USA
11. Stargazer
12. Johnnycrash
13. Prince of Styrene
14. MillenniumFalsehood
15. Scotaidh
Last edited by Scotaidh on Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dimitry
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Scotaidh wrote:9) For the purposes of this Challenge, “plate” means something on which one might serve food.
Ummm...
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Johnnycrash wrote:
Scotaidh wrote:9) For the purposes of this Challenge, “plate” means something on which one might serve food.
Ummm...
I know - it's a very broad definition.

I fully expect the members here to take full advantage of it. :)

In the often quoted words of President Abraham Lincoln, "Bring it!"
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Everybody ready? Got their plates and Judges all bought and ready? 4 more days to Challenge kick-off! I am expecting a bumper crop of flying saucers - please don't disappoint!

BTW, and this is important -

the Entry Date is fluid, but the End Date is solid

This is because on previous challenges I have noticed that there were folks who missed the start date, and there are also those who for whatever reason cannot complete their project by the end date.

So. Feel free to jump in at any time, just know that the later you enter the less time you will have to complete it. You must state your entry, and provide yourself with a plate and Judge. Oh - and Have Fun. :)

Moderators, please move this thread on 1 September, 2016 to either a Challenge 24: Plates In Space thread here in the General forum, or down to the Special Purpose Board.
Dimitry
1138thx

Post by 1138thx »

Define "Plate". You mean something you eat on or something that covers a boiler?
Throw me the idol...I throw you the whip!
No time to argue Senor!
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

1138thx wrote:Define "Plate". You mean something you eat on or something that covers a boiler?
Scotaidh wrote:Challenge Rules (amended)

9) For the purposes of this Challenge, “plate” means something on which one might serve food.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Andy_USA

Post by Andy_USA »

End date for this is 1 year, Sept 1st, 2017 correct? I'm going looking for my plates Friday at my local dollar store :D
Please pray for America, she is still sick !!! :(
Stay Safe, Mask Up
Andy_USA :rifles:
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Andy_USA wrote:End date for this is 1 year, Sept 1st, 2017 correct? I'm going looking for my plates Friday at my local dollar store :D
Correct
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Moderators, please move this thread to the Special Purpose area.

Thanks!

Dimitry
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

Moving into my new house this weekend.close on Wednesday! :D I'll get my pics then and will start my build up. Nice clean workspace, and I'll know where everything is for once. Lol.
onezero
Site Admin
Location: In my living room watching - but I am not laughing.

Post by onezero »

Scotaidh wrote:Moderators, please move this thread to the Special Purpose area.

Thanks!

Oh, now I see where you want me to move it.

OK - but not until you add me in to the list of participants.
<*>
j
john lester
Starship Modeler

A hyphenated word and a non-hyphenated word walk into a bar and the bartender nearly chokes on the irony.
raser13

Post by raser13 »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

(Updated) List of Entrants
1. Blappy
2. John O
3. Robiwon
4. Joseph C. Brown
5. Kylwell
6. Dr. Yo
7. Thom
8. Raser13
9. Lonewolf
10. Andy_USA
11. Stargazer
12. Johnnycrash
13. Prince of Styrene
14. MillenniumFalsehood
15. Scotaidh
16. One-Zero

:D
Dimitry
raser13

Post by raser13 »

Shouldn't he be at the top I f the list&#128540;
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

(Updated) List of Entrants
0. John Lester
1. Blappy
2. John O
3. Robiwon
4. Joseph C. Brown
5. Kylwell
6. Dr. Yo
7. Thom
8. Raser13
9. Lonewolf
10. Andy_USA
11. Stargazer
12. Johnnycrash
13. Prince of Styrene
14. MillenniumFalsehood
15. Scotaidh

There - now 1/0 is in the traditional numerical first place, :D
Last edited by Scotaidh on Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dimitry
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

:P
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
raser13

Post by raser13 »

Yay! I'm in my new house!!!!! :beer: :beer: :beer: Now I just need to unpack. So this weekend will be shopping for parts for this challenge.

I've already got a pretty good idea what I'm doing for this build. Especially with a year to do it in I'm going to go all little big. And I even have a plan for the barrel clip that I have been we xtra challenged to put into the mix.

I'm going to try to mix in as many plastic utensils, glasses, plates,cups, and cake decorating stuff as I can. Really anything made to work with food.

I like these challenges, it's great for people newer to the hobby, or newly returning to the hobby ,to see that you can use almost anything in a scratch build. Or that you don't need to spend a fortune on parts or kits to make mods to your models. Heck you don't even need a kit just some plastic yard sale signs, some pens or makers, a glass or two. And you can make almost anything. Just takes looking at everyday objects in a new way.