bare metal foil?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

greasyspoon

bare metal foil?

Post by greasyspoon »

It was suggested to me from these forms is use bare metal foil for search lights and such. I went to hobby lobby and the work was not sure if they had it. Does any one know roughy what section of the stores the foil would be in?

Thanks
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

I've never seen BMF in my Hobby Lobbies. I have seen HLs stock Testors metal foil, but not BMF.

My local HobbyTowns carry BMF. And they get it from MMD, so you can order for Squadron too.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Doubt if Hobby Lobby would carry it. If you don't have a nearby model hobby shop, you can get foil adhesive at places like Michaels or another big box arts/crafts store. It's water based and you spray or brush it onto the back of the foil you want to use, let the water evaporate and use that to stick the foil down. Works the same as BMF.

You can also change what foil you use. Regular is thinner than heavy duty foil, but heavy duty will be better over compound curves. There's more to stretch. There are also really thin colored wrapping foils in the candy section of those places. Thin foils are better for fine detail stuff and flat areas.

Also, even if they don't carry BMF, most model shops carry the Microscale decal solution products, which has a foil adhesive.

Kev
greasyspoon

Post by greasyspoon »

OK thinks for the advice. I will look for something, I have had tinfoil suggested to me.
Its for my Macross Defender AKA Rifleman
http://www.happinessismandatory.com/mis ... fender.htm
I have a little while before I there so I have some time to look.

Thanks
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

Or you could order it over the Internet:

http://www.bare-metal.com/bare-metal-foil.html
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Aluminum foil will work alright in this case. Bare Metal Foil has the advantage of conforming to curves better. On the Defender, if you're using it for the headlights, those are mostly flat pieces, no curves to worry about.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
greasyspoon

Post by greasyspoon »

The Tin foil worked great. I will differently keel that in my bag of tricks.
wetphoenix

Post by wetphoenix »

I bought the fake silver leaf for guilding and embossing. I plan to use it for the skinning of a scrtch built ship. outer hull is styrene.

I need a very thin glue that will flow. thinking about using a myster to apply it onto a primered surface. anybody ever do this?
Nebdcbdepo
Spammer - Locked

Post by Nebdcbdepo »

Very good and informative exchange .. Thank you!
Last edited by Nebdcbdepo on Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

^
|
|
|
bot!
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

For headlights I like acrylic cabochons from the bead store- very shiny, have a lens effect and available in a lot of sizes. First source i found on the interwebs:
http://www.wiinoshop.com/products/5mm-h ... art-15-pcs
Whoops... Looked at the picture. There are rectangualar ones out there too. Also shiny and bright. Or just put som round ones behind a clear piece- they capture a lot of light.