Tiny flexible hoses?

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Migmaker

Post by Migmaker »

links don't seem to work
If you can dream it, I can build it, and probably already have......:) William
TrekFX

Post by TrekFX »

If you're looking for really tiny, guitar and bass guitar strings can look convincing after painting (or not painting, for a metallic effect)
Johnnycrash

Re: Tiny flexible hoses?

Post by Johnnycrash »

John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Migmaker

Post by Migmaker »

tiny springs work too
If you can dream it, I can build it, and probably already have......:) William
Galaxy Of Rust

Post by Galaxy Of Rust »

Whoops! Thought I set the links right. Sorry about that.

My first idea was to use bass guitar strings. But I need something more rubbery & easier to cut & work with. I ordered some cheap snake chains for power cables. Now I need something that can work for a 12" robot, neck & joint wires. Similar to McFarlane's T-X Terminator figure.

If I can't find anything I'm going to try to recast the wires that come with that Ghost In The Shell figure. Smooth-On makes soft rubber for casting Halloween masks & special effects. But I was hoping I wouldn't have to go through that much trouble.

I might pick up some guitar strings to see how well they'll work. Walmart's craft dept. has rubber bead cord that's perfect except it's not ribbed. I have some of it here, wish I could get the same stuff in a ribbed mechanical style.
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

A cut-off wheel on a Dremel makes guitar strings easy to cut, and just bend them to smaller radius than the final one you need. Small to tiny extension springs work great, and better if slipped over a length of solder, copper or annealed iron wire. Same with de-soldering braid for woven looking hoses.
Galaxy Of Rust

Post by Galaxy Of Rust »

Yeah, these would work nicely

http://www.drtempleman.com/userfiles/im ... es-1-L.jpg

Do any stores carry them or do I need to order online? I found a picture of them but can't find anything even close when I search.

Ah, screw it! I'll give guitar strings a go.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

MDC of England do a couple of sizes of scale oxygen hose. Not cheap but looks really good...
http://www.modeldesignconstruction.co.u ... ccessories

Their main site doesn't have much of a description. You'll find more info here...
http://www.scaleplasticandrail.com/kabo ... xygen-hose

Waldron products used to do scale rubber hose in various scales, but the new owners (Roll Models Inc) don't seem to be doing them anymore. They occasionally show up on evil-bay.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
veedubb67

Post by veedubb67 »

I've seen Kylwell roll fine solder around a piece of wire to make flexible/bendable hoses. Very convincing!

Rob
Iwata Padawan
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Yup. Some solder or wire, a mandrel, roll and if need be flatten.
Abolish Alliteration
eeun

Post by eeun »

What's the approx. diameter of hose you're looking for?

Hobbylink Japan has various sizes of flexible spring:
http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYMS07/Sci

Also this, for a chunkier look:
http://www.hlj.com/product/HQPPP3/Sci

And if you're looking for something larger than guitar strings, a bass guitar 'e' string is pretty hefty, and the inner core wires of the string can be pulled out, leaving a very flexible hose.
World's Tallest Jawa!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The Kotobukiya springs are nice but can be stiff. I prefer Wave's for large spring sizes.

But, sometimes you just can't get the look you want or you're trying to replicate metal conduit.

http://www.hungrylizardstudio.com/super ... ng_p_s.pdf

The one change I am making is switching to soft aluminum wire or lead free solder as it doesn't react with CA the way lead does.
Abolish Alliteration
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

Andrew Gorman wrote:A cut-off wheel on a Dremel makes guitar strings easy to cut, and just bend them to smaller radius than the final one you need.
If you heat guitar strings red-hot and let them cool slowly, the steel gets softer (annealed) and is much easier to work with.
Galaxy Of Rust

Post by Galaxy Of Rust »

I got my snake chains & Ghost In The Shell figure in the mail today & everything is absolutely perfect!

I can easily recast the hoses that came with the GITS figure using Alumilite Flex. And as an unexpected bonus the hoses have plugs on the ends so I can link as many as I want together. They'll look awesome added to Mechanical Chain Bases, H-Hangars or Robotech Factory model kits.

I'm probably gonna have to learn how to make videos for Youtube.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Kylwell wrote:The Kotobukiya springs are nice but can be stiff. I prefer Wave's for large spring sizes.

But, sometimes you just can't get the look you want or you're trying to replicate metal conduit.

http://www.hungrylizardstudio.com/super ... ng_p_s.pdf

The one change I am making is switching to soft aluminum wire or lead free solder as it doesn't react with CA the way lead does.
Not that i have tome to build much, but I have this print out form wonderfest ...4 years ago now? or three? i cannot recall, in a nice binder sitting at my work bench at all times. ...
George
Follow Catalyst Creations on face book!
Or
On The Web!
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Kylwell's method is The Way To Go. Guitar strings, even when annealed, can only flex so much, and tend to want to go back to their original shape. Wrapping fine solder around a mandrel or another piece of solder gives you a very flexible, realistic looking hose. It can be further shaped to drape convincingly over underlying details, and holds it's shape well. It doesn't take as long as you'd think either, and it's very easy.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

All the hoses I show in my flier took maybe 15 minutes. The big one was the worse as that thick solder takes some serious pressure to deform.
Abolish Alliteration
Barnstormer3000

Post by Barnstormer3000 »

I've done similar things with very fine electrical wire, using one strand as a 'core' and wrapping a second strand tightly around the first.

They stay flexible - they won't pose rigidly the way solder would. You can make some VERY fine 'hoses' that way, though.

Based on the color of your wire, you may even end up not painting them - if you use black or gray wire you get a 'hose' that's already authentically black rubber!
Every day, a little less Ewan McGregor, a little more Alec Guinness.
o2b4wln

Post by o2b4wln »

Look for garter springs...they're used around ring seals for gaskets.

I got these from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085Y ... UTF8&psc=1

Good luck!
naoto

Post by naoto »

Kylwell wrote:Yup. Some solder or wire, a mandrel, roll and if need be flatten.
[forehead slap] No wonder I wasn't getting anywhere with that technique... I was trying to wrap wire around an mandrill rather than a mandrel...
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

naoto wrote:
Kylwell wrote:Yup. Some solder or wire, a mandrel, roll and if need be flatten.
[forehead slap] No wonder I wasn't getting anywhere with that technique... I was trying to wrap wire around an mandrill rather than a mandrel...
That's a common mistake but won't give you the smooth curve you're looking for and can lead to injuries.
Abolish Alliteration
chrisjon65

Post by chrisjon65 »

Try striping the wire out of old electrical cable some will be copper some metallic.
You can wrap the wire around something as thin a a needle to produce very thin hollow all be it corrugated hose.
KLINGON CAV

Post by KLINGON CAV »

Does anyone know where to by micro-goosnecks like the type that would be used on a key chain?
Duj meQ!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Not sure what a gooseneck looks like but if it's jewelry related there's always Fire Mountain Gems http://www.firemountaingems.com/
Abolish Alliteration
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Abolish Alliteration
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

Look for round rubber leg material at a fly tying supply shop. This is a strip of rubber material made of individual round sections that can be peeled away. Sold as a strip about 1" wide and 18" long. Fine size is about 1/2 mm in diameter. It's available in a variety of colors. See here:

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/hareline-ro ... 20020-FIRD
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
NCC1966

Post by NCC1966 »

Once in a while my wife that is a cloth doll maker asks me to make some scratch accessory. She uses to customize her dolls to fit some customer aspects. Past week she asked me to make a stethoscope to use in a doctor doll.

The more challenging part was to imagine what I would use to replicate the black rubber hose. Then I ended with a house wire but it was too hard and she wanted it flexible. So I just stripped it from the copper and stayed with the plastic cap.

Here the stethoscope and the doll with it around the neck:

http://i.imgur.com/zh7rvFd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/KXvUTfw.jpg

So, wires are excellent to make hoses!

:D
kerick

Post by kerick »

For rubber hoses try the leads from used ear buds. About two and half feet of black rubber hose that's pretty flexible.
I like dreams of the future better than the history of the past.
Patrick Henry
Steelieboy

Post by Steelieboy »

I bought a roll of window screen rubber spline at my local hardware shop.
It makes for convincing tubing on ships in a 1/72 scale or larger...also looks good on some larger robots. You can get a lot of it for cheap.
I've also used the black plastic twisty ties that a lot of products are packaged in nowadays...it's easy to manipulate and glue.