Team Nor'Easter

The Travelling Model Project is back! Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

He did, and it was on my doorstep when my wife got home from work tonight.

I'm going to get the Bacqatcha photographed and boxed up tonight, and she'll ship tomorrow via Priority Mail with tracking.

EDIT: Now with photos! :D

Box view - starboard side
Bow on view
Starboard side stern
Engine outlet detail and side blast plates
Aft sensor pods and ECM vents
Lower sensor pods and underside of engines
Upper details on top of main hull
Upper hull and engines - from astern
Full-length view from astern

The little glowing blue blob that shows up in some of the photos is due to my having dropped my smartphone a few months back. There's a bit of damage in the camera lens, but it is limited to the blue blob. Normally, I can just crop around it.

The parts are re-bagged, the model is padded, the box is sealed, addressed and ready to go in the morning.
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

The Bacqatcha is in the hands of the postal gods as of 0832 this morning. Expected arrival at Gundamhead's house is Monday, May 11.

I'll take a look at the Lake Effect in the next couple of days (stuff going on with family due to wife's grandmothers' funeral two days ago, lots of relatives are still in the area to visit) and start work as soon as I can.

Did we want to finish one kit for this year and keep the other one making the rounds until next year? What do y'all want me to do? I think I'm the last to get Lake Effect. I can finish her off the best I can and ship her out to Colorado for display at WonderFest, or we can send her around again.

Let me know!
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

I think we should send the Lake Effect to WF this year, and send the Bacqatcha next year ...

What do we think, guys? Please let your pleasure in this matter be known.
"Is Russian artillery. Is mostly on target."
Dimitry
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

I'd honestly go the other way around. Send the Bacqatcha this year and the Lake Effect next year.

I'm gonna work on building a canopy for the Lake Effect, but there's really no way I can get all that needs to be done on this project finished and out the door by next week. WonderFest is two weeks from Saturday, and I don't think I can get construction done, priming and painting completed, and get it packed and shipped. I have meetings tonight and Thursday night, and my wife works Saturday, so I have to do all the errands. Sunday is completely gone for me as a work day, with church and end-of-the-year school band concerts all day. That means I have three work evenings (Wednesday, Friday and Monday) before I'd have to ship.

The CoMMiES will be getting on the road to leave for WonderFest either the 27th or the 28th, so allowing for shipping over Memorial Day Weekend, I'd have to ship by Tuesday the 19th to ensure delivery.

The better bet would be to get the Bacqatcha completed and shipped. She was (in my opinion) pretty close to "primer/paint ready" when I shipped her to Gundamhead. She should have been delivered yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to check the tracking number.

What do y'all think?

Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Lonewolf wrote:I'd honestly go the other way around. Send the Bacqatcha this year and the Lake Effect next year.

I'm gonna work on building a canopy for the Lake Effect, but there's really no way I can get all that needs to be done on this project finished and out the door by next week. WonderFest is two weeks from Saturday, and I don't think I can get construction done, priming and painting completed, and get it packed and shipped. I have meetings tonight and Thursday night, and my wife works Saturday, so I have to do all the errands. Sunday is completely gone for me as a work day, with church and end-of-the-year school band concerts all day. That means I have three work evenings (Wednesday, Friday and Monday) before I'd have to ship.

The CoMMiES will be getting on the road to leave for WonderFest either the 27th or the 28th, so allowing for shipping over Memorial Day Weekend, I'd have to ship by Tuesday the 19th to ensure delivery.

The better bet would be to get the Bacqatcha completed and shipped. She was (in my opinion) pretty close to "primer/paint ready" when I shipped her to Gundamhead. She should have been delivered yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to check the tracking number.

What do y'all think?
Sounds good to me.
Dimitry
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

WonderFest is two weeks from today. Where are we in terms of getting an entry done?

I'm working on the layout for the canopy of the Lake Effect. It's at the "paper template" stage, trying to get the angles and hull curvature right.

Gundamhead

Post by Gundamhead »

I only managed to get a very little done and a misting of Tamiya primer on it toty and see what needs work. I wanted to do more, but my life is getting too hectic and complicated at the moment and I need to pass it on. I need a volunteer! :D I will get it out ASAP so it can make it's way if that's still the goal. It is pretty neat! Got a Foss vibe to it. :8)

Anyway somebody please PM me an address so I pass it on instead of tie it up.
"Shiny. Let's be bad guys." -Jayne Cobb
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Whoever (whomever?) works on it, we probably won't make the deadline for this year. WonderFest is a week from Friday, and mail is gonna be delayed due to the Memorial Day holiday on Monday. Even shipping it Priority Mail means 4-6 days in transit (from you to the "finisher" and from them to the final destination).

If you wanna kick her back this way, have at it. If somebody else wants to work on her, speak up. I just got a new needle for my Iwata Revolution, so I'm back in business with both a single-action and a double-action airbrush.

I will definitely be at WonderFest in 2016, so if we just want to wait and take them both then, I'll be driving down and will be sure to have transport space in my Impala.

raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

so what do your models look like? where are they at?(who has them) and what are your plans since we have a year to work on them?
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

They're both at my house, in my hobby room, and I haven't had a chance to work on either of them since receiving them. The Bacqatcha is actually still sealed in its shipping box.

I'm gonna work out the layout for the canopy on the Lake Effect. I've got the basic design drawn up and ready to start work on it, but with this dang kidney stone crap, I haven't felt like sitting down at the workbench for any length of time. I'm planning on leaving enough headroom in it in case someone wants to include pilots. Question for y'all, though: Yea or Nay on canopy "glass"? Putting it in would mean whoever paints it has to deal with masking the "glass" later. I was going to use some clear plastic packaging from the Disney Star Wars diecast toys, possibly with a coat of Tamiya Clear Smoke applied to tint it a bit.

Who wants the Bacqatcha? I'm on vacation next week and can get it shipped out before I leave on Saturday.

ignatz

Post by ignatz »

Hey Team Nor'easter! Hope everyone is enjoying Independence Day weekend!

Any developments on either ship? I'd love to see some pix!

Have a great 4th and don't eat too much BBQ!
Model ON!
JAYCOCK ALFRED

Post by JAYCOCK ALFRED »

Have observed this project since the beginning. High hopes for doing so more in the coming year. When you're in the forums, look behind you, because that's where the project observer's going to be!
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

I'm still waiting to hear who wants the Bacqatcha. She's still sealed in the box that Gundamhead shipped her in.

For the Lake Effect, I'm working on completing a kitbash I've had on the bench since March. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and I'm hoping to have the build done by next weekend.

ignatz

Post by ignatz »

Oh. Heck. My schedule opened up recently. I can work on the Bacqatcha for the next leg.
Model ON!
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll get her ready to ship out next week.

ignatz

Post by ignatz »

Will do! Thanks!
Model ON!
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

OK - what's a-happenin'? Just because we have got a year, that doesn't mean we don't still have to build.

Who has got what?

What are you doing to it?

Where are the pics?

You all wanted the extra time - what are you doing with that time?
Dimitry
ignatz

Post by ignatz »

Don't know. I'm still waiting on the Bacqatcha to arrive.
Model ON!
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Lonewolf wrote:Send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll get her ready to ship out next week.
didja send it?
Dimitry
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

No, sorry. I've been up to my eyeballs in dealing with the after-effects of my parents' car accident on July 7. Dad is still in sub-acute rehab, and I had to take non-paid time of work this week to be at his appointments with him (neuro-psych and urology). I'm an only child, and my parents are in separate medical facilities, 25 miles apart, both of which are an hour away from me.

And to boot, today is their 50th wedding anniversary.

I'll get her shipped this coming week.

ignatz

Post by ignatz »

I figured it was just "life getting in the way". Sounds like you've got more than your fair share! No worries. Get to it when you can. It's not nearly important as family and health issues. Take care of yourself.
Model ON!
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

She'll ship either Monday or Tuesday, and I'll send you a PM with the tracking number.

I'm finally trying to dig out from under the crap-ton of stuff that'**** me this summer, and I need to get to work on the Lake Effect's cockpit section as well. The paper "mock up" parts for the canopy have been done for months, but I haven't gathered the energy to convert everything to styrene.

Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Lonewolf wrote:She'll ship either Monday or Tuesday, and I'll send you a PM with the tracking number.

I'm finally trying to dig out from under the crap-ton of stuff that'**** me this summer, and I need to get to work on the Lake Effect's cockpit section as well. The paper "mock up" parts for the canopy have been done for months, but I haven't gathered the energy to convert everything to styrene.
Lonewolf, no worries - this is why we have a year. Compared to your parents, a model isn't even on the chart ... Sorry for harassing you. :oops:
Dimitry
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

No biggie. And models are helping me to get through this.

Dad has been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and Parkinson's Dementia. On Friday, they did a cytoscopy on him and found a calcified tumor "most consistent with cancer" located at the neck of his bladder, right where the bladder and urethra meet. They have to get cardiac clearance (he's a pentuple bypass survivor) before they can put him under and go in to obtain tissue samples for a biopsy.

Mom is healing slower than they hoped, so she's going to be at the adult foster care for at least another month. She's under a "no driving" restriction until December and also has a 5-pound lifting restriction due to fractures of her sternum and L2 vertebrae.

Jedi Dade

Post by Jedi Dade »

Damn IT!!!!! I missed out on this... I'm kicking myself.

As a member of the team responsible for the mighty (and apparently missing) Grabthar's Hammer - I would've loved another crack at this.

If we do another one - please some one IM me!

Jedi Dade (Philadelphia PA area)
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Jedi Dade wrote:Damn IT!!!!! I missed out on this... I'm kicking myself.

As a member of the team responsible for the mighty (and apparently missing) Grabthar's Hammer - I would've loved another crack at this.

If we do another one - please some one IM me!

Jedi Dade (Philadelphia PA area)
Since we are extending this build to next year, I see no reason you couldn't joining in. Does anyone object to us gaining a new member?

Just one thing - we have two models going, and I have no idea where they are.
Dimitry
ignatz

Post by ignatz »

That's fine with me. The more the merrier!

No Bacqatcha from Lonewolf yet, so I guess he still has it. Sounds like he's going through a serious rough patch right now. No worries on my end.
Model ON!
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Yeah, I still got her. I just printed off your address, so the box will be shipping when I go to the post office on Thursday.

I'm off work tomorrow (non-paid) because I found out on Saturday that my dad has a 3 to 5-hour-long neuropsychological evaluation at 9:30 a.m. My mom is basically incapacitated following the accident, recovering from her injuries and dealing with a lot of anxiety. That means that, legally, I'm the only one that can made decisions for my dad as his successor Patient Advocate. So, whenever he has an appointment, I'm the one that has to be there to make the decisions.

This REALLY makes me wish I had a sibling that could help me shoulder the load. :(

ignatz

Post by ignatz »

No problem. No rush. My wife and I have had our fair share of dealing/coping/surviving our parents becoming old and sick (still dealing, in fact, as we've been caregivers for her mom since her stroke. Going on 10 years now). It's a hard path to walk. But it has to be done, and done with love. I know it may seem impossible at times, but you have to take care of yourself too. Sending you good wishes.
Model ON!
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

anything?
Dimitry