Evans Lighting - Fujimi Spinner kit

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Redshirt 5

Evans Lighting - Fujimi Spinner kit

Post by Redshirt 5 »

Has anyone had any experience working with any products from Evans Lighting?

I've been holding off construction on my Fujimi Spinner as I want to light it, but my electronics skills are marginal at best. I'd prefer using an aftermarket kit rather than trying to come up with something on my own.

Evans Lighting offers just such a kit. It looks like a great kit, but all the photos & vids on the site are extremely blurry and it's not clear what the parts will actually look like when installed. Attempts at communicating with the owner by email to clarify these issues were very frustrting, as he really didn't answer any of my questions to my satisfaction.

Has anyone used this kit or any other Evans kits? $89 is reasonable for a lighting kit...but it's still a lot of money, especially considering the investment I've made in the spinner kit with other aftermarket items so far.

- Tim
Check out my website....Scale Icons.
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

Not much idea about the components, but looking at the photos on his site he seems to have ignored the distinctive front wheel housing lighting entirely. Those side arcs and the outrigger spots are a big part of the coolness of the Spinner.
"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/
Redshirt 5

Post by Redshirt 5 »

I missed that the first time around...but sure enough, you're right! It's very hard to make out the size of the LEDs used for the flashing lights as well. Due to the soft focus, they could be oversized for the scale.

I think I'm going to have to pass on this one...and my Spinner will continue to go unbuilt until I can find a suitable lighting solution.

- Tim
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

OK, now I can't just sit here ignoring an opportunity like this....!

Just exactly what does a Spindrift need for lighting? I can offer the electronics, wires, fiber optics and LEDs but not any clear / translucent parts.

What kind of special FX are needed? I can make LEDs blink just about any way you can imagine.

Thanks!
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
Redshirt 5

Post by Redshirt 5 »

John, give me a few days to put together an email for you with lots of details for you.

Tim
Last edited by Redshirt 5 on Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I just ordered some LEDs from them (sorry John). Fellow CoMMiES have spoken highly of them and they offer pico sized LEDs pre-wired.
Abolish Alliteration
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

Madman Lighting wrote:OK, now I can't just sit here ignoring an opportunity like this....!

Just exactly what does a Spindrift need for lighting? I can offer the electronics, wires, fiber optics and LEDs but not any clear / translucent parts.

What kind of special FX are needed? I can make LEDs blink just about any way you can imagine.

Thanks!
I think he was asking about lighting the Spinner from Blade Runner, not the Spindrift from Land of the Giants...

The Spinner kit has been built up several times, some great lighting setups as well. Biggest trouble is getting the LEDs and wires into the roof mars-lights, you have to carve the housings and use magnet wire IIRC...
"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

It can be done with SMT's. The center peg has to be cut/Dremeled out. This is how I did mine.

http://i.imgur.com/FbsH4Dq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/id8fjf4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FJKOZIF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xCFPhj9.jpg

Lights are powered by a custom programmed Fusion Core board.

http://i.imgur.com/tX16hU4.jpg
"Dead or alive, your'e coming with me"
Madman Lighting

OK, that might be a bit too teeny for my kits. Sounds like you have to practically hand-fit the parts into each nook and cranny to make it work.

I would have a hard time offering SMT LED parts pre-wired... I think my wife would kill me if I asked her to start doing it! :shock:

No matter, I've got something pretty cool in the pipeline... stay tuned!
jikdoc

evan's lighting

Post by jikdoc »

i've ordered from Evan's a few times, got the 1701D kit with AGT mod, as well as the pegasus lighting kit. he's a great guy and really works to get you what you want and he always manages to throw some extra bits as well. Evan's seems to work closely with TenaControls for some really nice lighting effects.
i've ordered from Madman as well, both are great vendors, can't say enough about both Justin (Evans) and John.
Last edited by jikdoc on Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redshirt 5

Post by Redshirt 5 »

For most folks, I don't think it would be practice to get every light in place on the relatively tiny spinner. I'm thinking the flashing roof lights, plus something the the interior, the forward wheel covers, and the big headlight out front. Might have to make some sacrifices for accuracy for the roof rack assembly to accommodate the leads. Not sure about the underside lighting...

Robison...fantastic build...I wish I had your electronics skills...

Tim
Redshirt 5

Re: evan's lighting

Post by Redshirt 5 »

jikdoc wrote:i've ordered from Evan's a few times, got the 1701D kit with AGT mod, as well as the pegasus lighting kit. he's a great guym really works to get you what you want and he always manages to throw some extra bits as well. Evan's seems to work closely with TenaControls for some really nice lighting effects.
i've ordered from Madman as well, both are great vendors, can't say enough about both Justin (Evans) and John.
Thanks, jikdoc. I've purchased several times from Madman and love the simplicity of john's kits.

- tim
Madman Lighting

Redshirt.... Thanks!

I checked out your site and it seems you've been my customer for quite a while now, your "Bad Penny" Starfury has one of my early kits in it. Thanks!
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

Thanks Redshirt 5! After I finish a few projects I hope to get back and finish the Spinner.
"Dead or alive, your'e coming with me"
Redshirt 5

Post by Redshirt 5 »

Madman Lighting wrote:Redshirt.... Thanks!

I checked out your site and it seems you've been my customer for quite a while now, your "Bad Penny" Starfury has one of my early kits in it. Thanks!
Yes, your Starfury lighting kit was my first attempt at lighting with LEDs, and your kit made it completely painless! I have a few more of your kits ready to go with some of my other in progress builds...I'll get around to them eventually :D

- Tim