Liquid cement melted styrene questions

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Dukat, S.G.

Liquid cement melted styrene questions

Post by Dukat, S.G. »

Folks,

Per another modeler's advice, I used liquid cement and a partially melted styrene solution to fill some large gaps in which I needed something sturdier than air-dry putty but with more control than epoxy putty.

Several days later, those areas remain somewhat soft; I can take a fingernail and leave a visible gash in the area touched.

I'm wondering if this stuff will ever harden, or, given a few more days, should I scrape it off and go with another filler?
"Cardassians do like to talk. I suppose
it can be a failing, at times."-- Dukat

(My real name's Sean Robertson. Don't let the scales and alter-ego fool you ;D.)
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

It will harden. Depending on the ratio of styrene/solvent, it could be hours to weeks. The solvent must completely off-gas.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

My experience with solvent-melted styrene has been poor. It seems to go on shrinking forever.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

I've also never really liked it. It can take foreeeeeever to dry. There are very few situations where I can't use putty, stretched sprue (or different sheet thicknesses), or CA (with baking soda if needed) to fill gaps. In fact I can't think of any.

Once in awhile I'll use sprue goo for surfacing, but I keep it thin.

-Rog
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

All depends on the cement to styrene ratios. I prefer a fairly high level of styrene in my liquid cement. It's much thicker, more like Aves, and cures faster.

The type of cement also makes a difference. Tenax or ProWeld cures faster than Tamiya or Testors.
Abolish Alliteration
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

I made a batch when our old pal Woody gave me a recipe. I used MEK and threw in some sprue and plastic forks. It took a week or so to turn into a goo, and I used it on the master for the Kestrel kit. It seemed to dry fine, but I think I would just use epoxy putty If doing it again. Too much of a toxic pain.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The big reason some folks I know use it is when doing texturing on the plastic itself.

With the modern abilities of things like Aves and Mr. Surfacer there really isn't much need unless you're stuff in some place like, say, Cambodia.
Abolish Alliteration
Dukat, S.G.

Post by Dukat, S.G. »

Thanks for the solid feedback, all of you.

My stuff completely hardened in four, maybe five days, and I agree with y'all: it's more trouble than it's worth. I wish I'd just used Milliput or Tamiya epoxy (need to get me some Aves, I know). But the results weren't so bad. If anything, they were pretty good. I won't rule out ever using it again.
"Cardassians do like to talk. I suppose
it can be a failing, at times."-- Dukat

(My real name's Sean Robertson. Don't let the scales and alter-ego fool you ;D.)
naoto

Post by naoto »

Of course, with model like the Interplanetary UFO Mystery Ship (and you want to retain the glow-in-the-dark aspect) I'm not sure if there would be such a thing as glow-in-the-dark filler putty.
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

naoto wrote:Of course, with model like the Interplanetary UFO Mystery Ship (and you want to retain the glow-in-the-dark aspect) I'm not sure if there would be such a thing as glow-in-the-dark filler putty.
Very true.
Abolish Alliteration