2 part mold help (probably a really simple answer)

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Lonnie Sweet

2 part mold help (probably a really simple answer)

Post by Lonnie Sweet »

Hi all, I recently tried my first 2-part mold. I poured the bottom half, including multiple locating pins. Then I coated the entire piece with mold release, let it sit 24 hours to ensure it was dry, and poured more RTV silicone over it (OOMOO 25). Both pieces are firmly stuck together. I had to cut it apart and the mold cannot be used.

Is there a trick or step I missed to ensure this doesn't happen again?
"There is no charge for awesomeness"
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

Pour your first half, let cure. Take a cheap disposable paint brush and paint the exposed surface of the mold where it will mate to the second mold half with vaseline. DON'T make it thick or goopy - it should just be a thin film kind of coating, and don't get any on the exposed surface area of the part you're casting. Then pour your second mold half. When it's cured, they should come right apart. You may have tiny spots where they're stuck together because your vaseline didn't perfectly cover that spot, but just pull gently or cut it with your Xacto.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Ya, sounds like your mold release between the halves wasn't up to the task.

May I ask what you used between the mold halves? There is a lot of very bad information floating around on the various internet forums and it's usually perpetuated by people who don't actually know what they are talking about... like using Pam cooking oil spray as a mold release...
OdysseySlipways

Post by OdysseySlipways »

i use Smooth-On rubber and resins but have stuck with this brush on barrier from Polytek (have to get more, not sure if they still carry it) that is like a vaseline and mineral spirits (or something). i have found that i need to brush on 3 light coats of it allowing about 15 minutes of dry time between each coat and then pour the second part of the mold.

even then i sometimes get areas little that just bond together and require cutting.

if your looking to start making your own molds for production, give a shout
Chris,
Odyssey Slipways

Odyssey Slipways on Facebook

Now accepting Pay Pal, I'll be taking your money now ........... (waves hand in the air, using Jedi Mind trick)
Chas

Post by Chas »

A neat trick we use to use when I was in the rapid prototype industry was to heat the Vaseline in an oven till it turned liquid. Much easier to get thin even coats that way.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

And typically you don't wait more than an 30 minutes to pour after applying mold release.
Abolish Alliteration
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

The kit mold release I used worked fine.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
gsb5w

Post by gsb5w »

I have always poured my second half shortly after brushing on the mold release. No problems here.

I wonder if the second pour went around the edges and down the sides of the first half and stuck to that. I have had that happen before so I brush a light coat of release agent around the sides of the first pour. I was still able to separate my mold when that happened.
That really was a Hattori Hanzo sword.