SciFi Blast Marks

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

myersjessee

SciFi Blast Marks

Post by myersjessee »

Looking for some tricks from folks on how they do blast marks. I've tried charcoal, pigments, oils, and airbrush but I haven't found something I love in terms of recreating the best looks. It might just be practice, but I was wondering what tricks people have. I particularly would love to recreate the effect some folks use where the center of the scorch mark isn't darkened in. I've tried masking off and airbrushing, but it's never quite as smooth a transition as I'd like. Any tips of the trade?
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

I did the blast marks on my Viper by drybrushing paint on in black, then a little grey inside the black and followed up with some black pastel chalk:

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/contest/ ... kit_29.htm

I was trying to replicate what was some of the CGI pics. I'd suggest trying it out on some scrap first though.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Depends on the scorch.

In the end, practice is what does it. And layers.
Abolish Alliteration
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

Maybe I suck and nobody has the guts to tell me, but people on here liked my Galaga starfighter model I finished back in December:
http://stevethefish.net/life/models/031galaga.htm
I am in no way as experienced as many people on here are, but I think it turned out fairly nice.

What I did for the blast point was carve a bit into it with an X-Acto knife for the center and scratched some radii. I then just hand-painted Testors silver into the blast mark and the surrounding area. What came next was chalk weathering, which took care of the gradation by itself, I think. I applied it in streaks from the center of the blast point.
http://stevethefish.net/life/models/galaga/galaga12.JPG

The same could be achieved from the Tamiya weathering kits.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
myersjessee

Post by myersjessee »

Thanks for the ideas and pics. Most appreciated!
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

I know this is a few months old but I saw this a few weeks ago. Use Snap-N-Pops! Those little twisted pieces of paper with the little rocks inside. Loved these as a kid. Tape the tale to you your model and then use your finger, snap a rubber band on it, etc to pop it. It will leave a nice little blast mark you can then dullcoat over.
"Dead or alive, your'e coming with me"
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

USSARCADIA wrote:I did the blast marks on my Viper by drybrushing paint on in black, then a little grey inside the black and followed up with some black pastel chalk:

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/contest/ ... kit_29.htm

I was trying to replicate what was some of the CGI pics. I'd suggest trying it out on some scrap first though.
I'd recommend that, too, but would also encourage some physical "dents" - even a shallow ditch (e .g. applied with a heated screwdriver) will add some drama. I also received good results with a simple lighter held close to the surface and into the right direction, so that the (already painted) styrene reacts just a little to the heat - a good basis for dry-brushing with black, some gray and maybe a hint of silver.

Rubbing scorched areas with grinded, soft graphite also creates nice results, and adds a metalllic shine to the hit area.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
widget

Post by widget »

2nd the snap pops. STRY shooting/blowing them through a straw also.
This IS my sig.
Nebdcbdepo
Spammer - Locked

Post by Nebdcbdepo »

Thank you for posting this information!)
Last edited by Nebdcbdepo on Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gsb5w

Post by gsb5w »

robiwon wrote:I know this is a few months old but I saw this a few weeks ago. Use Snap-N-Pops! Those little twisted pieces of paper with the little rocks inside. Loved these as a kid. Tape the tale to you your model and then use your finger, snap a rubber band on it, etc to pop it. It will leave a nice little blast mark you can then dullcoat over.
I remember using snap n pops on my snow speeder when I was a teenager. My technique was to throw the snap n pops real hard at the model or twist them with my fingers while extremely close to the surface of the model. I can remember having so much fun "Weathering" my model this way.

Thanks for the memories.
That really was a Hattori Hanzo sword.
srspicer

Post by srspicer »

What you have in the linked images looks good actually, IMHO.

I do see some seem lines that should have been filled, and maybe more bare metal exposed at the initial blast point.

I think the finished model looks really nice. :thumbsup:
Natsu-Rokka

Post by Natsu-Rokka »

For heavy blaster damage, I have used fine wire scrunched up into a ball, heated while holding with tweezers, then pushed onto the surface of the model. By varying the contact area, you can replicate small spall/spatter damage around the primary point of impact. You could use a Dremel tool to do the work, but the scrunched wire makes better small, irregular dimples. Plus the heat causes the edges to swell a little, replicating localized melting of the hull.
Laughing Coffin

Post by Laughing Coffin »

For impacts/burns [that did not penetrate the armour in question], I typically cut the head off of a paper match, then set in on the surface of my finished piece and light it. works like a charm. the longer you leave it to smolder on the plastic the more texture you'll end up with at the actual center of the scorch.

you can modify the size/shape of the impact burn by doing the same to the match-head in question.

This technique works VERY well with Games Workshop minis and paints, I've never tried it on anything else though.
Formerly "Slide"
RedHeadKevin

Post by RedHeadKevin »

A recommendation I can make is to use an airbrush. When you do, use a kind of paint that you can clean off. For example, on a Viper I did, I had a Future clear coat, and then I used enamels for the black scorch marks. If I felt that it was too heavy, or in a bad place, I could wipe it off with some thinner. Then I wiped a small clear part in the middle of the scorch mark, to let the base coat show through, and used a silver pencil in the middle of that. I think they came out pretty good.
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

For this blast mark on my Bandai Falcon I made a few random black spots with black acrylic paint. I then outlined the black spots with light grey paint. Then in a few spots I took the sharp corner of a white pastel chalk stick and made some marks. Finally I used a dark grey pastel powder for the "overspray". There is no gouge in the plastic, it's completely smooth.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2ag2rtf.jpg
"Dead or alive, your'e coming with me"
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

I've used Tamiya Weathering Powders (black, brown, and white) to make blast marks. I used the little foam applicator Tamiya supplies. Worked great.