Source for tapered tube?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

sbaxter

Source for tapered tube?

Post by sbaxter »

One of the things I'm working on are replacement engine "cans" for a 1/24(ish) X-wing. I know the original studio models used the cans from a 1/32 F-4 Phantom model, but those kits are too expensive for one thing (especially as I'd need two such kits), and I'm not sure they would actually fit the X-wing I have (it's the Hasbro), and even if they did, I'd like to actually come up with something that looks more realistic. I think that if I can find tubing that will fit that has a slight taper, I can scratch the "turkey feathers" from fairly thin styrene. Reasonably thin plastic or metal would be ideal, I think. The exterior diameter of the tube, at the larger end, needs to be just a hair over an inch, and I'd prefer a slight taper — something like that on the TOS Enterprise nacelles, proportionally speaking, or even a little more gradual than that, so that it isn't glaringly obvious over the short length I'd need. I'll be building the model in flight, so if the cans were articulated like a reasonably modern fighter, I'd expect them to be fully "open," or extended or whatever the correct terminology might be. Any ideas? I'm thinking that Home Depot or Lowes may be my friend, but I don't have hours to comb every aisle in the store.

If I can't find something that will work, I could either go with straight tube (I actually found some dirt-cheap aluminum flashlights at Dollar Tree that would fit, but they're straight), or I could find a tube wide enough to serve as the smaller end and build up the taper using strips of styrene and putty, but I'd rather avoid that if possible.

By the way, for questions such as this, I never know whether it should best go here or in the Scratchbuilding board.

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Have you looked at knitting/crochet needles?

The one's I've seen at Michael's are either aluminum or plastic (I think it's styrene), they have a slight taper and they have some large ones, not sure of the size for the large ones though.

Ken
sbaxter

Post by sbaxter »

kenlilly106 wrote:Have you looked at knitting/crochet needles?
I took a look at some yesterday at Wal-Mart, whjich was the only place I got to try this weekend. The ones I saw there were much too small and didn't appear to taper, but that doesn't mean that larger ones can't be found and that none of them taper.

What I did find were two possibilities: One was a toy called a "Chrome Sword" -- a really cheap lightsaber knockoff. The other was the neck of a 2.1 ounce container of "Cake Mate" brand dessert sprinkles. I'm going to try to swing by Michaels or Hobby Lobby today and see if I find anything else. The container would be excellent if I can make it work -- they are less than a dollar, IIRC, and the taper is subtle. Only drawback is that the plastic is thin, so I might have to shore it up.

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters