A new big flat white LED!

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

robiwon

A new big flat white LED!

Post by robiwon »

Check out these cool new LEDs! So many possibilities.

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1622
"Dead or alive, your'e coming with me"
StarCruiser

Post by StarCruiser »

Even better - there are 3 sizes of them...

Bookmarked!
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

That is cool. I wonder if the acrylic "lens" can be cut down at all?
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

I plan on ordering about 10 of these next payday. You should be able to since it's just an LED mounted in an acrylic base. The anode and cathode should be at the base. Don't know if shortening it would change the light up characteristics of it. When I get some I'll experiment on one.
Tchail

Post by Tchail »

Thanks for this!

It looks like a better alternative for lighting the Enterprise-D's nacelles than using EL sheet.
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

The only issue I see that would limit useability is that it is not flexible like EL sheet. Lighting a large flat engine panel, flood lighting the interior of a ship, dioramas, etc would be great uses.
WarpeD

Post by WarpeD »

Use in models....for me...Hah! But for my flight simulator....another thing. This will make creating my next generation of control panels extremely sweet. Must share with my cockpit building buddies. Excellent find!
Rondie

Post by Rondie »

Nice find! I ordered a small stack, I'm hoping to use it as engine lighting in my AMT tydirium. Could be a great fit!
Rondie

-Admiral Ackbar Cereal-
Your taste buds can't repel flavor of that magnitude!
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

Seems there is only a reflective backing on the back side and nothing on the edges. So, you should be able to make these a bit smaller, or shape them to some extent.
Tchail

Post by Tchail »

Yesterday I ordered two of each size.

My brother was asking if it'd be possible to cut it into custom shapes.

I don't see why not...
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
starseeker

Post by starseeker »

If those sizes aren't right for you, you could also make your own. Lee Valley sells the diffusers in 3/4" x 36" lengths (frosted or opal, opal is best for things like the 1701 nacelles) item #s 00u42.32, 00u42.52 and 00u42.72. (the difference is their shape). $3.20 each. If you look for
"24 white SMD SMT LED 9-12V Modules Sign backlight DiY"
at your favorite on-line auction place, you'll probably find perfect light strips for your 1701 nacelles, too.

So if Lee Valley sells them, the raw diffuser sheets have to be available somewhere. I just haven't bothered to look. Yet.
WarpeD

Post by WarpeD »

Starseeker...what you're describing is a different beast with multiple LED's behind a plastic light diffuser of some sort. The LED product in this thread is a single LED applied to the edge of a special formulation of acrylic that produces an even glow throughout the miniature panel.
Rondie

Post by Rondie »

Got them in yesterday. Not completely impressed with the amount of light coming off of them (the bigger the dimmer), but then again, they aren't high voltage or anything. I do think the light is pretty well distributed over the whole surface of the thing.
Rondie

-Admiral Ackbar Cereal-
Your taste buds can't repel flavor of that magnitude!
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

Pictures, we like pictures.....
starseeker

Post by starseeker »

WarpeD wrote:Starseeker...what you're describing is a different beast with multiple LED's behind a plastic light diffuser of some sort. The LED product in this thread is a single LED applied to the edge of a special formulation of acrylic that produces an even glow throughout the miniature panel.
I know. Just saying that if you need different sizes or shapes, you can get the same effect (tho' possibly brighter?) with over the counter items. In the dark days of flint knives, stone tools, and 3 and 5mm leds, you were always stuck with hot spots because of the round tipped led's very narrow angle of illumination, 5 to 10 degrees maybe. Which makes them great for spotlights and good for indirect illumination if you make the inside surfaces of starships, say, reflective. Smds have become cheap and plentiful, are available in several sizes from the microscopic to the relatively mammoth (but still darn small) and have much wider angles of illumination like 40 degrees. Put them together in an inexpensive light strip, behind a good diffuser, and no hot spots in your nacelles any more.
It seems these new items are trying to perfect something like a very large smd. Totally cool!
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

Just like any new non-modeling related product that is re-purposed for our hobby, someone will find a use for it. It may not be the best item to use for say a warp engine, but may be great for lighting the engines on a Galactica or the back wall in a Falcon cockpit. I think they will be great for doing small flat areas that need illumination.
WarpeD

Post by WarpeD »

starseeker wrote:... In the dark days of flint knives, stone tools, and 3 and 5mm leds...
LOFL!

You can add 10mm LED's to your list, and warm white one's at that. Last month I got a number of 10mm white one's for my Seaview searchlights. Huge mutha's.
Tchail

Post by Tchail »

robiwon wrote:Pictures, we like pictures.....
Got my order in on Friday, so here are some pictures:

All three sizes:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg12 ... c10be0.jpg

Here's the largest:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg12 ... 935e24.jpg

And the medium:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg12 ... fb2da2.jpg

Lastly, the smallest:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg12 ... 786a88.jpg

The smaller sizes put out a decent amount of light.

Unfortunately, none of them are a good fit for the Enterprise-D nacelles.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg12 ... 9c4a52.jpg
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

May not be good for the Enterprise D engines, but lighting up a Galactica's engines...

I think the medium would be perfect for the 3 footer. One for each section. One might be able to light up one whole side of a Moebius, two in total.

Thanks for posting those. I think many will find some good uses for them.
Disillusionist

Post by Disillusionist »

Well, this thread is certainly giving me ideas for a whole line of laser cut goodies :D
Affordable laser cutting and engraving for the hobby community

www.laserfirecreations.com While you're at it, follow us on Facebook
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

Disillusionist wrote:Well, this thread is certainly giving me ideas for a whole line of laser cut goodies :D
Ooh, like what...?
Disillusionist

Post by Disillusionist »

Well...I'm familiar with the acrylic they're using for these LEDs. There are two flavors, one optimized for edge lighting, and another optimized for diffusion with back-lighting. I'm thinking warp grills and such cut specifically to size and shape for specific models might be quite useful to a lot of modelers. No more hot spots. :wink:

zysurge

Post by zysurge »

Disillusionist wrote:Well...I'm familiar with the acrylic they're using for these LEDs. There are two flavors, one optimized for edge lighting, and another optimized for diffusion with back-lighting. I'm thinking warp grills and such cut specifically to size and shape for specific models might be quite useful to a lot of modelers. No more hot spots. :wink:
I like this idea!
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

zysurge wrote:
Disillusionist wrote:Well...I'm familiar with the acrylic they're using for these LEDs. There are two flavors, one optimized for edge lighting, and another optimized for diffusion with back-lighting. I'm thinking warp grills and such cut specifically to size and shape for specific models might be quite useful to a lot of modelers. No more hot spots. :wink:
I like this idea!
Mee too!
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
Tchail

Post by Tchail »

SpaceRanger1 wrote:
zysurge wrote:
I like this idea!
Mee too!
I'd like to hear more!

LEDs definitely have an advantage over electroluminescent sources, because of the half-life associated with ELs.
Disillusionist

Post by Disillusionist »

Once I finish burning through my Wonderfest workload, I'll get some of the material in here and start doing some tests. I've got a refit here that I'm just about to start work on the nacelles. That should make a good test bed.

Disillusionist

Post by Disillusionist »

Just a little update. I finally got the materials ordered and they should be here any day now.

cappy

Post by cappy »

Has anyone determined, if the length can be cut down without affecting
whats left.
Don't worry I got an idea!
An idea so smart, that my head would explode,
if I even began to know what I was talking about.
cappy

Post by cappy »

Sorry guys. Checked the adafruit blog and someone already
tried. Cuttting the length appears to not affect the performance much if
at all. Just need to recover the cut end with foil, to reflect the light back in.
Don't worry I got an idea!
An idea so smart, that my head would explode,
if I even began to know what I was talking about.
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

I'll have to check out their forum. I wonder if cutting a large one down, recovering its end with foil would increase its brightness?