salt masking question

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

admiralcag

salt masking question

Post by admiralcag »

Last night, I made my first attempt at salt masking. Didn't go well. The water didn't want to spread out.

So, what should I use to break the surface tension of the water? Flat finish? Dish soap? Any suggestions welcome.

Vern
It's a great day for America, everybody!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Salt masking is best in small areas. Along panel lines, etc.

But, when I need to salt a large area I just put some water on a finger and rub it where I need it to go. Sprinkle with salt and bake @ 350° until golden brown.
Abolish Alliteration
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I just add salt a little bit at a time. A few drops of water, a little salt. A few more drops of water, a little more salt, etc.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
admiralcag

Post by admiralcag »

I will try both. Thanks, guys!

Vern
It's a great day for America, everybody!
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

And add a drop of dish washer to the water you use to break surface tension.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

I tried salt weathering only once, several years ago. It was on an Ertyl Snowspeeder and it turned out like this. The water melted the rock salt a bit, forming splotches around the salt. I was going for a paint chipped weathering scheme, but I ruined it. I was working exclusively with Tamiya acrylics, so maybe that was the problem. IIRC, I was using water to thin the paint instead of acrylic thinner or alcohol. I am not sure if the problem was with using water to airbrush the Tamiya acrylic paint, but I wonder if this was the problem. I was rather disheartened and stripped the paint off the model. Fortunately, all I had to do was soak the parts in Windex since it was just Tamiya acrylics.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
zemjw

Post by zemjw »

Have you looked at chipping solutions from the likes of AK and MIG?

They're meant to replace the hairspray in the "hairspray technique", but may work instead of salt.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The less water the better. It takes very little to dissolve the salt crystals. Too much and you'll end up with halo's. You can use a ruling pen, i.e. a bow pen or drafting pen, to apply it or if needing it over an area rub the water into the surface a bit with your finger, which will also remove some of the excess, then apply the salt.
Abolish Alliteration
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

I only used salt two or three times, basically on things that are in scale too small for it. But for me it worked fine - even though it would not be a "apply salt, add paint, rub off, be happy" process. It was rather messy, but worked perfect to achive a "NMF under chipped paint" look. I worked with acrylics as paint basis and enamels on top of the salt, and modified the look with wet sanding and washings. But the salt masking was a valuable method, I would not have achieved the result through simple brush painting (which I normally use, no airbrush).
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I usually make a paste of the salt, a little water and a tiny amount of dish soap. Then apply with a brush. Be careful not to get much salt water on your model, it likely will show up under the paint.

Here's a heavily salt-weathered model:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ter-or/se ... 704701438/

You can see my little cup of salt next to the Nell.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ter-or/22 ... 3704701438

What it looks like after painting and salt removal, note the panel shading.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ter-or/22 ... 704701438/
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati