Stuck Liquid Mask Question

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Stuck Liquid Mask Question

Post by Lonewolf »

I'm posting this question for Cydonia, who's at work at the moment. He's texting me with the information so I can post it.

He's working on a styrene project and applied a base Tamiya clear green acrylic coat. He used two layers of latex-based liquid railroad mask that he got while he was in Florida over the holidays. He applied a primer (automotive enamel) via rattlecan, followed by two coats of lacquer a day or two later. He said that he waited about an hour between the coats of lacquer.

Now, here's the problem. The liquid mask has been on for about two weeks, and he's trying to remove it but it's being a royal PITA.

He says the mask is supposed to rub off or peel. It comes off very stubbornly with the blunted end of a toothpick, and usually scratches the bottom paint. When it does come up, it comes up as bits and pieces. He's also tried using an Xacto around the edges with the same result.

So . . . . what should he do to get this stuff off his model, without damaging the paint?
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

If the mask is at all tacky then this might be the answer

http://www.cutting-mats.net/rubber-ceme ... 7AodQB4AWQ
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Ken can't tell if it's tacky or not. It's had one coat of enamel primer and two coats of lacquer put over the masking.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Try the rubber on the end of the pencil - that's worked for me in the past when I've left liquid mask on for too long. Dilute ammonia might also soften it, especially at the edges which might help it lift off.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

It could be that the latex mask reacted with the paint on top of that - happens after some days, had a similar problem some time ago with Humbrol's masking fluid. The rubber becomes relatively hard and adheres vehemently to the surface below, making the peeling process REALLY troublesome.

My advice: avoid this through instant de-masking, as soon as the paint is dry enough. Adding some "handles" in the masking fluid (e .g. strips of paper) that make peeling off easier is also an option, but that won't avoid the danger of having the masking stuff "dry out" after long periods on the model.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
Cydonia

Post by Cydonia »

Found a partial solution: hot soapy water. Softens the mask enough to scrape it off with a dental pick. Of course, it also pretty much removes the underlying paint, but I can touch that up.
Ah...What does it do?

Do? It kills the enemy.

All of the enemy?

Aye, all of them. And all their wives, and all their children, and all their sheep and cattle, and cats and dogs—all gone.

Well, where’s the fun in that?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

This has happened with every liquid mask I've ever tried. Now-a-days I use it to seal butted tape joints but not much else.
Abolish Alliteration
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Don't forget about using Silly Putty.

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/basics/rd_silly.htm

Yeah, I know . . . shameless plug, as I wrote the article back in 2007.