HELP REQ on using a mixing cup on a gravity-fed airbrush

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

HELP REQ on using a mixing cup on a gravity-fed airbrush

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

I have a quick question. My first airbrush was a Paasche, and its mixing cup was siphon-fed. I could put the paint in, add the thinner, mix it up, and start spraying. Easy.

My new Wave has a gravity-fed airbrush. I find that if I put the paint in and then the thinner, I can't mix it properly because the pure paint has already flooded the chamber inside. What's the best way to handle this? Do I add a bit of thinner first, then paint and then more thinner, then put my finger to the nozzle to blow air to make the bubbles come up? Is that how I should mix it? I've been using little jars to mix the paint with thinner every time and it is becoming rather tiresome.

I figure this should be an easy resolution, but maybe I'm not the shiniest doorknob in the house... Help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
eeun

Post by eeun »

I have a bunch of 1 oz. plastic cups that I pre-mix my paint in. They're disposable, but I rinse and re-use because I'm cheap.

Or, if I'm lazy (and cheap), I'll put thinner in the airbrush first, then stir in paint, and finally cover the nozzle and backflow air through the cup to mix anything I've missed.
World's Tallest Jawa!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I cheat and thin in the bottle.

They say not to do it but I have yet to run into an issue with Tamiya paints and thinner.
Last edited by Kylwell on Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abolish Alliteration
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

Yes, that's what I have been doing. I think I will practice the second method more to become better at mixing paint. Thanks.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
Maschinen Krueger

Post by Maschinen Krueger »

I squirt in a little thinner first, mix with a brush, then spray on a test area until the thinner in the tip sprays through and I'm getting consistent results.
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

I know a lot of folks pre-thin their paint in a small mixing bottle before pouring it into the cup. It's useful if you're going to be doing a large project that will take several paint applications to complete. That way you already have paint ready to go when it's time to do the next coat.
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Mix paint and thinner in a single 'large' container and poor into the paint cup as needed when air brushing.
Normal?? What is normal??