Painting metal, and how many clear coats to use?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

No_6

Painting metal, and how many clear coats to use?

Post by No_6 »

Heya.

I've been painting my airsoft guns (barrels mostly, but may be moving on to other parts) and want the most durable finish possible as these things not only receive a lot of handling, but get banged around a bit.

I'm using Duplicolor self-etching primer on the metal parts, and will probably stick to Mr. Surfacer 500 or 100 for the plastic parts. For paint, I'm using Tamiya acrylic rattle-cans or Testors lacquers, and have been finishing with 2-3 coats of lacquer dullcoat.

p.s. I've also found that the pot metal that some airsoft guns use doesn't take primer very well (I've sanded down to bare metal and thoroughly cleaned it) and found the paint chips or lifts easily.
I am not a number.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

You're right about potmetal not holding paint down very well. I think in this case you're better off using automotive lacquers from a spray can. I could easily be wrong, but I just don't see airbrushed finishes holding up to a lot of heavy use.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Mad-Modeler

Post by Mad-Modeler »

Metal-primer

Paint-coat

Top-coat.
Mad-Modeler

Post by Mad-Modeler »

But preferably Your metal-coat should be your final one.

As any top-coat, etc will change the appearance.