Enamel Paints

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Thomas E. Johnson

Enamel Paints

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

Its been over 20 years since I last used enamel paints as I couldn't stand them. They clogged my airbrush regularly no matter how much I thinned them, and smelled really bad and gave me headaches even in a ventilated area.. I prefer acrylics for models, with a good lacquer primer underneath. Now I see that Model Master is bring the marine colors line back in both acrylic and in enamel, with most all of the colors being in enamel and only a few in acrylic. Since I build ships also this means I won't have to mix colors to get what I want if I use them again.

So my question, more or less is how user friendly is the current generation of Model Master enamel paint, for both airbrushing and hand brushing?
Thomas E. Johnson
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

MM enamels are certainly better than their little brethren but they still smell the same and are long to cure.

I have heard tho', of people thinning with MM enamels with lacquer thinner to speed the cure time and get them to lay thinner & smoother.
Abolish Alliteration
southwestforests

Post by southwestforests »

Probably ought to add a note that lacquer thinner is pretty potent in the aromatic realm.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Kylwell wrote:MM enamels are certainly better than their little brethren but they still smell the same and are long to cure.

I have heard tho', of people thinning with MM enamels with lacquer thinner to speed the cure time and get them to lay thinner & smoother.
That's what I do on the rare occasion I A/B them. Of course, I strain the frak out of them too and shoot at around 15 psi or so.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

yes, forgot about that, thank you Kenny. Strain them. I even strain my Vallejo if I'm going to a/b it. My Tamiya & Alclad II on the other hand....
Abolish Alliteration
Thomas E. Johnson

Tamyia and Polyscale acrylics are my preferred paints.

Since straining the MM enamels has been brought up, can I take that to mean they are not a fine pigment grind?
Thomas E. Johnson
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

They just clump on the odd occasion. Vallejo does it also, once you've opened them. Sometimes a vigorous shaking can emulsify them but it's just safer to run them through a strainer.
Abolish Alliteration
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Almost any paint has little tiny clumps and will eventualy clog ones airbrush.
Normal?? What is normal??
Thomas E. Johnson

Kylwell wrote:They just clump on the odd occasion. Vallejo does it also, once you've opened them. Sometimes a vigorous shaking can emulsify them but it's just safer to run them through a strainer.
I always stir my paints heavily.
Thomas E. Johnson
Thomas E. Johnson

irishtrek wrote:Almost any paint has little tiny clumps and will eventualy clog ones airbrush.
I've yet to have that issue with Tamiya acyrlics.
Thomas E. Johnson
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Kylwell wrote:MM enamels are certainly better than their little brethren but they still smell the same and are long to cure.

That's what I do too. Lacquer thinner works really well with MM enamels, I thin them at least 1:1, or even thinner, and shoot at about 10psi. I don't always strain my paint, but I do put a 1/4" stainless nut in the bottle and shake the living daylights out of it.

And yeah, lacquer thinner stinks and is probably poisonous as hell. If you have a good spraybooth this won't matter. I wear a good respirator.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Oddly enough, acetone is less poisonous than common paint thinner.
Abolish Alliteration
JohnInVT

Post by JohnInVT »

Kylwell wrote:Oddly enough, acetone is less poisonous than common paint thinner.
I was surprised, based on the odor, that an acetone bottle was not covered with warnings. But it's used as nail polish remover! Turns out acetone is common in the body, and not particularly dangerous - largely an irritant and highly flammable!! It's a powerful solvent of plastics, and I believe it's the media for the "Mr surfacer" line of products.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I was surprise myself having been told in high school that aerosoled acetone is incredible poisonous. Yes, it'll make you sick but your body will readily eject it before it becomes deadly.

Yes, it's the solvent in the Mr. Color line of paints & primers.
Abolish Alliteration
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

JohnInVT wrote:
Kylwell wrote:Oddly enough, acetone is less poisonous than common paint thinner.
I was surprised, based on the odor, that an acetone bottle was not covered with warnings. But it's used as nail polish remover! Turns out acetone is common in the body, and not particularly dangerous - largely an irritant and highly flammable!! It's a powerful solvent of plastics, and I believe it's the media for the "Mr surfacer" line of products.
I always thought of acetone as being highly corrosive to flesh yet a modeller on another forum regularly used his fingertip to appply it when smoothing polyester based putties for seam filling. Still don't think it's a very good idea though when you can use a swab.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

It'll suck the moisture and destroy the oils in your skin and prolonged exposure will make you sick as the body rapidly ejects it but for the most part causal exposure to it isn't an issue. The toluene in your glue will kill you faster.
Abolish Alliteration
Wug

Post by Wug »

Acetone

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0004.html

Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol)

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0359.html

Am I reading this right?

Mike
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Yup.

Now read the one for Mineral spirits, the most common paint thinner.
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0569.html
Abolish Alliteration