1-Day build, take 2 (another Bandai Starblazers mini)

Take the The One-Day Build Challenge and show your results here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bellerophon

1-Day build, take 2 (another Bandai Starblazers mini)

Post by Bellerophon »

Okay, this time I'm gonna nail it! I started at 1:49pm EDT, and it's already assembled, primered, puttied and sanded (repeatedly), and I've printed decals for it. It's Bandai Star Blazers Mini No. 10, a Comet Empire missile cruiser (here it is at Starship Schematics Database).

I posted pictures of the box of parts with the start time on my cell phone, and of my work so far, here on my blog. I'll get right on it in the morning. It should be no problem to paint, decal, and weather this by 1:49pm.
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

Did it! Here's the proof. I was working on it right up until about 5 minutes before the deadline and had to run upstairs to get the camera; luckily I hadn't misplaced it.

Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

Nicely done!

However . . . . we still only have one "official" entry, as those that have been posted on the boards here are ineligible to participate because we know who built them.
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

Aw, crap!

You know, even if I'd followed the rules, it would be an easy inference who built it. :evil:

Wait a second! Here are the rules you posted. Where does it say you can't show off your entry on this forum?
Lonewolf wrote: After some PMs with Nicholas, we’re trying to streamline the One-Day Build Challenge (“ODBC”) Contest.

First off, Nicholas and I are going to bow out and not participate in the contest version of the challenge because of the administration portion. We want to offer folks an anonymous posting and voting system similar to what Starship Modeler has offered for each of the prior contests. So, here’s what we’re thinking:

Build Rule/Guidelines

1. Most importantly, the build must be started and completed in the course of 24 hours.

2. The build can be anything you challenge yourself with: OOB, scratchbuild, kitbash, diorama, lighted, and so on.

3. You can have opened the box and looked over parts, done prep drawings/notes, gathered materials, etc, prior to starting.

4. The unstarted build must be DOCUMENTED. This can easily be accomplished by any of these means:

- photo taken with newspaper date
- photo taken with cell phone time/date
- time stamp feature enabled on your camera

5. When the build has been completed and is ready for submission, send the entry photos (and personal information including name, snail-mail address, screen name, and e-mail address) via the SFMKD.com Hotmail account: sfmkdmaster@hotmail.com

6. A main One-Day Build Challenge folder has been created on the SFMKD.com Photobucket website, and a subfolder for the month (2012 - May) is also in place. Each entry will have its own subfolder under the monthly folder containing all of the photos submitted for that entry. Once all the entries are in, a thread will be posted with links to the albums so people can view the entry photos.

7. Vote will be via e-mail ballot, with the votes being sent to the same SFMKD.com e-mail address. Votes will be forwarded to Nicholas so there will be two of us keeping a tally.

8. After the winners have been named, a new Winners thread will be started with the info on who won what. Photos of the winning entries will be posted in the Winners Gallery folder on Photobucket.

Important Dates

The Sunday closest to the beginning of the month will be the starting date, and the Saturday closest to the end of the month will be the ending date. That way photos can go up Sunday or Monday, and voting will close on the following Saturday.

The May Contest will be 35 days in length, and will have the following dates:

Opens April 30th
Closes June 3rd (to avoid WonderFest conflicts)
Voting beings June 4th
Polls close June 10th
Winners will be announced within a week

Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Right at the beginning, before the numbered sections.

First off, Nicholas and I are going to bow out and not participate in the contest version of the challenge because of the administration portion. We want to offer folks an anonymous posting and voting system similar to what Starship Modeler has offered for each of the prior contests.

It was also implied in number 5:

5. When the build has been completed and is ready for submission, send the entry photos (and personal information including name, snail-mail address, screen name, and e-mail address) via the SFMKD.com Hotmail account: sfmkdmaster@hotmail.com

It was also mentioned in earlier posts in other threads that we were attempting to keep the entries anonymous, so there wouldn't be pressure to vote for a specific entry because you knew who built it.

That's the whole reason for the "mail in submissions, and a poll will be posted with links to the entries" thing. The poll idea was one that you had voiced, and it made a lot of sense so we were going to give it a shot.

If you just wanted to build something in the 24 hours, and didn't care about entering it in the contest, then you were free to post stuff here. I built and posted one, but I'm disqualified because I'm one of the sponsors.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

I don't see any such implication in Rule 5, but hey, it's your contest, run it any way you like.

Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Bellerophon wrote:I don't see any such implication in Rule 5, but hey, it's your contest, run it any way you like.
Take a look at the other thread. It's open to anyone who has completed anything.

El Gato
Location: In a land whose boundaries are that of the imagination

Post by El Gato »

D'OH! I messed up by going public too. I'll have to try again next time...
"You know what I pray for? For the strength to change the things that I can, for the inability to accept the things that I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference"

- Calvin of "Calvin & Hobbes"
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

El Gato, don't you know you have to follow the rules? Even the unwritten rules that are only implied!

Doing a one-day build is a good kick-start if you're in an AMS rut, but it's not fun being in a rush, either. There has to be some happy medium between this and taking forever to finish some grandiose project.

El Gato
Location: In a land whose boundaries are that of the imagination

Post by El Gato »

Well, that's not how I took it. I simply misunderstood the rules. I understand why there's a need for anonymity, something I guess I glossed over when reading them the first time. My bad.
"You know what I pray for? For the strength to change the things that I can, for the inability to accept the things that I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference"

- Calvin of "Calvin & Hobbes"
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

I just took it from people posting their builds that it wasn't anonymous. I was also satisfied that it was my bad.

Until I re-read the rules, that is. Anonymity was mentioned as a goal in the preamble, but it was not listed as a rule.

I get enough of this at work. I don't need it intruding into my hobby.

bigarv65

Post by bigarv65 »

I think we can agree that those who set this challenge up never intended to upset anyone. Everyone's time and resources are finite and precious.

With that knowledge, I read and reread all the posts in the ODBC section, and then asked specific questions about rules before beginning anything. I did this because I go around assuming a lot of things and when I get it wrong I get mad. That's natural.

I'm sorry you're sore about this whole thing, but it was a MISTAKE, and they happen. I wouldn't blame them if they let this challenge die, just to avoid something like this in the future.

Happy clouds, man, happy trees.
Insanity takes it's toll. Please have exact change.
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

Bigarv65, if you thought you had to go to all that trouble to find out what the rules were, you must have suspected there was a problem with the rules. You sought an answer before entering and got one, but I didn't read your post, just the rules and people's build posts. I'm sure that Lonewolf and Nicholassagan fully intended the anonymity rule, but there are eight rules, and that isn't one of them. As far as intending to upset anyone, I have no clue what they intended.

BTW, if you've announced that you successfully entered this contest and there's only one entry, haven't you violated the anonymity rule? Or even if there's more than one entry--then people know one of them is yours and can possibly guess which.

Sure I'm mad, because of the way it seemed Lonewolf sandbagged me with this rule he hadn't mentioned on any threads where we'd been showing off our builds, followed by his insistence that this really was a rule because it's implied in Rule #5 (it's not, but even so, is implying good enough?), or mentioned in other threads (that counts as contest rules?). His only argument with any merit was about the preamble to the rules mentioning "We want to offer an anonymous posting and voting system...," but what was missing was any conciliatory admission from him that my objection was worthy of consideration, and that there could be a problem with the rules. Most of us have probably had to suck up this kind of treatment at work from supervisors and administrative people. They make mistakes like everyone, but they're in charge, so what they say goes and they're not going to back down.

I'm fine with strict enforcement, if the rules are clearly stated. In fact, it's preferable to guidelines and exceptions. Problem is, it's really hard to think up the best set of rules in advance--you run into problems like this, and you'd expect those running the contest to err on the side of greater participation and plug the loopholes next time around.

It will take participation to keep this challenge alive. I thought it was a great idea, and it is, but participation has to be encouraged. However, adjudicating the contest this way discourages participation.

So yes, I'm mad about it, but not as mad as I'd be if I didn't have a choice between sucking it up and walking away. However, I'm ranting about it first, something I dare not do when I don't have the choice to walk away.

There, now I've spoken my piece and can be happy and calm like Bob Ross.

bigarv65

Post by bigarv65 »

Bellerophon wrote: BTW, if you've announced that you successfully entered this contest and there's only one entry, haven't you violated the anonymity rule? Or even if there's more than one entry--then people know one of them is yours and can possibly guess which.
Lol, you inferred that I entered, I never stated so. But maybe the implication was there? Like the implied rule?

I'm not trying to pick a fight, believe me. Just bummed that there's hard feelings.

Moving right along...
Insanity takes it's toll. Please have exact change.
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

bigarv65 wrote:
Bellerophon wrote: BTW, if you've announced that you successfully entered this contest and there's only one entry, haven't you violated the anonymity rule? Or even if there's more than one entry--then people know one of them is yours and can possibly guess which.
Lol, you inferred that I entered, I never stated so. But maybe the implication was there? Like the implied rule?

I'm not trying to pick a fight, believe me. Just bummed that there's hard feelings.

Moving right along...
LOL!

Yep, I vented. Time to paint happy trees and happy clouds. (BTW, my brother used to do that kind of painting, and couldn't resist adding happy erupting volcanoes.)