Revised Compressor Recommendation Question

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

No_6

Revised Compressor Recommendation Question

Post by No_6 »

Okay, after bopping about the web a bit, I'm revising the question.

I've been on the prowl for a new compressor for a while. Now I'm looking to do double duty. Firstly to do airbrushing at home. I live in an apartment, so it needs to be quiet enough that my neighbors won't hate me. I currently use the Testors Aztec mini-blue compressor and haven't gotten any complaints. So something within that dB range would be fine (I'm guessing it's around 50-60 dB).

Now I found a booster that will then take the air from the first compressor and fill a 4500psi paintball tank (relatively slowly). Costs $430, but, well, I think it would pay for itself after about 4 years. The trick is, the first compressor needs to be able to do a minimum of 80psi.

Would this be too powerful to use as a paintbrush compressor? If not, what compressors in the 80psi to 120psi range would you guys recommend?
I am not a number.
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

You'll need a compressor in the 1/2 to 1hp range to provide that level of huff, and quietness is not usually a consideration in these types of compressors. However, a quick look at Sears website yielded this little gem that boasts 55dB. Have you considered a compressed CO2 tank? That's the ultimate in quiet.
No_6

Post by No_6 »

Nope on the CO2. Want to stick with HPA for the airsoft gun. I may just have to settle on getting a used scuba tank and have it filled at a diving shop and using that to fill the airsoft gun tank, and just getting the best compressor for airbrushing... and never the twain shall meet.
I am not a number.
qweasd
Spammer - Locked

Post by qweasd »

- spambot zapped -