Seriously, how do I apply squadron putty?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Matt1982

Seriously, how do I apply squadron putty?

Post by Matt1982 »

It's like working with maple syrup. I want to fill in fine seams, not make a total mess. Any tip-a-Roos are welcome!
Johnnycrash

Re: Seriously, how do I apply squadron putty?

Post by Johnnycrash »

Matt1982 wrote:It's like working with maple syrup. I want to fill in fine seams, not make a total mess. Any tip-a-Roos are welcome!
But... Maple syrup is good!

Just use a small flat tool (I use a scrap piece of plastic) like a spatula. Squeeze out some putty on a scrap of plastic, and use the spatula to apply it to the seem, pushing it in as best you can. Yes, there will be too much, can't avoid that. You can scrap off most of the excess with the spatula. Let it cure, then sand the seam. Repeat as needed.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

You should try maple syrup over ice cream, hmmm yummy!!
Ant time you applt putty to a model you run the risk of a mess so you may want and try using masking tape around the area to be puttied.
Normal?? What is normal??
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

With walnuts! And make sure it's real maple syrup, none of that log cabin or mrs butterworth stuff.

But once you've used up your Squadron putty, get some Bondo spot glazing putty or 3M Acryl Blue.
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/
jafo

Post by jafo »

throw it away and get yourself some tamiya basic -grey NOT white
its awesome
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

I use Squadron Green or similar putty all the time. The trick is to mix it with Testor's Liquid Cement.

Cut a little putty off the end of the tube with your X-Acto. Use the brush in the glue cap to dab some of the glue on it - just enough to get it wet. Apply to your seam and start to work it in. Dab with a little more if you find another dry spot.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by southwestforests »

Something similar to Ziz' method works for me.
Tape, sticky notes, are useful too :arrow: keep them away from where liquid glue might encounter the adhesive.

For spatulas I use the X-acto style large and narrow chisel blades.
Sometimes on the handle so as to dip in Testors liquid cement before picking up putty - makes putty slide off knife better.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
edc111
Spammer - Locked

Post by edc111 »

spam
chiver

Post by chiver »

spam? spam and ice cream are a horable mix..
KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON!!!
southwestforests

Post by southwestforests »

chiver wrote:spam? spam and ice cream are a horable mix..
Have heard SPAM is national food of Hawaii.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
chiver

Post by chiver »

Lmao. Dosent mean its good for ice cream, well to each their own. But one thing is for sure....... Its no good for models at all
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Did you squish the tube a lot before applying? Sounds almost like you're getting the syrupy solvent instead of the putty itself. If it sits on the store shelf for a long time, the green part settles out, leaving the liquid on top. A lot like that nasty yellow water that can shoot out of the mustard container.

I have to agree with the Tamiya - it's great stuff and smooths out nicely. The grey is for bigger fill jobs, and the white is for filling scratches. Both very useful.

Kev
TrekFX

Post by TrekFX »

If you smear the blade of your putty applicators with Spam the putty doesn't stick to the tool.

It's funny, I just dug out a (verrrry) old tube of Squadron white this morning! Just to re-visit the stuff and see if I still hate it.

I just prefer catalyzed materials. And I don't mean Bondo!

By the way, thanks for the Snack Inspiration. Got a big Jug o' Syrup (the real stuff, Grade B... much yummier than Grade A) and a half-gallon of Rocky Road. Gonna fire up Cloverfield, crank up the subwoofer and piss off the neighbors while slipping into a sugar coma!
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

Bellerophon wrote:With walnuts! And make sure it's real maple syrup, none of that log cabin or mrs butterworth stuff.

But once you've used up your Squadron putty, get some Bondo spot glazing putty or 3M Acryl Blue.
Any idea where to find 3M Acryl Blue?
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
jafo

Post by jafo »

TimeScape wrote:
Bellerophon wrote:With walnuts! And make sure it's real maple syrup, none of that log cabin or mrs butterworth stuff.

Any idea where to find 3M Acryl Blue?
I found it at auto body supply stores

amazon sold it, or here
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... ent=value4
PetarB

Post by PetarB »

Squadron Putty is terrible stuff. It can seperate and actually destroy your plastic!

Bellerophon's advice is the great. Bondo's fine. Tamiya make a similar putty that is much, much better.

Tamiya also make a UV Light-activated putty. I love it. You put it on, expose it to full sunlight for a minute, and it's rock hard.
chiver

Post by chiver »

it wont harden as fast with out the sunlight?
PetarB

Post by PetarB »

It wont harden at all... I've left it on overnight in a dark room and it did not harden. 60 seconds of sunlight though, and it's a little harder than styrene, and can be drilled and sanded.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The biggest problem with the Tamiya UV cure is finding it.
Abolish Alliteration
virtualight

Post by virtualight »

Definitely switch to either Mr. Surfacer or Mr. Surfacer Dissolved Putty. If you can't find that (it can be difficult), I had great luck softening Squadron Green with denatured alcohol. You can then smear it around with your finger. And Squadron White, I think, can be softened with acetone.
virtualight aka Jennifer Petkus
asalaw

Post by asalaw »

virtualight wrote:Definitely switch to either Mr. Surfacer or Mr. Surfacer Dissolved Putty. If you can't find that (it can be difficult), I had great luck softening Squadron Green with denatured alcohol. You can then smear it around with your finger. And Squadron White, I think, can be softened with acetone.
Pure acetone, or will nail polish remover do it?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Just hit the hardware store for a can of lacquer thinner.
Abolish Alliteration
jafo

Post by jafo »

asalaw wrote:
virtualight wrote:Definitely switch to either Mr. Surfacer or Mr. Surfacer Dissolved Putty. If you can't find that (it can be difficult), I had great luck softening Squadron Green with denatured alcohol. You can then smear it around with your finger. And Squadron White, I think, can be softened with acetone.
Pure acetone, or will nail polish remover do it?
Pure acetone is a little too "hot" for some plastics and can actually melt a it a tad depending on how much you use. But if yoiur carefull will work ok. Nail polish removers are not all equal. you will need one with acetone in it and it works just fine but not was quickly. Laquer thinner works but not nearly as well as the other two.