My (Someday) One-day Build

Take the The One-Day Build Challenge and show your results here.

Moderator: Moderators

nicholassagan

My (Someday) One-day Build

Post by nicholassagan »

Ok...I think I'm about ready. Most other projects have enough momentum that I can get something done at the end of this week...Kind of "my sorry ass can't get to WF" build.

So a couple of things I'm considering: NOT lighting it, using a build I know isn't that complex and won't require putty and testing out my new airbrush rig (pre-shading and all that jazz). I know I could just pick and then move down the list for the next one, but I'm having trouble deciding which to kick this off with...

So here are my kit choices with pros and cons

FM 1/72 TIE Fighter
pros - familiar build; easy paint and possible decal; been itching to build one for a while
cons - almost too easy; if I do the Rand Ecliptic version there will be a resin add-on piece that will require fitting, sanding & putty

FM 1/72 Royal Guard Interceptor
pros - same as above...
cons - same as above but there are a few more resin add-ons; more masking for a more complex paint scheme

FM 1/72 TIE Interceptor
pros - familiar build; scheme/variant haven't seen on the boards as of yet
cons - almost too easy;

Timeslip's 1/4105 Battlestar Valkyrie
pros - familiar build; easy paint and possible decal;
cons - requires a little more putty work; longer paint dry time; extra detailing...

Sci-Hi 1/72 Viper MkII
pros - genre shift (getting a little sick of SW...), small build
cons - will need putty work and dry time, including extensive decal application

Thoughts?
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

Why not work on both the TIE and the TIE Interceptor? You can work on them both, alternating while one is drying, and probably use the same paint on both as well.
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
nicholassagan

Post by nicholassagan »

Ha I was wondering if anyone is floating in this area...

Yeah, I might do that...good idea. I could do BOTH Interceptor versions, too...hmm...

But obviously today is out. We're going out of town this weekend so I've been running around trying to get ready. Next Friday is also out because I will be laser cutting pieces for...let me count here....NINE more master patterns....
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

That sounds like a plan!

I have the TIE and the TIE Interceptor, and I'm planning on building them together when it's their turn on the bench. But I have to do more research, because it seems like there have been several variations as to the "proper" colors for TIEs. Even the ones in Sculpting A Galaxy aren't consistent between ANH, ESB, and ROTJ.

Right now I'm plugging away on the 1:144 FM Falcon. Gonna start the upper hull decal application later today, or maybe tomorrow.
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.