Building one today . . .

Take the The One-Day Build Challenge and show your results here.

Moderator: Moderators

Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Building one today . . .

Post by Lonewolf »

And I'll have photos up tomorrow. Even though I'm not participating in the contest, I figured I would still have some fun.

Kit is assembled, waiting for the glue in the gaps to dry prior to sanding, then outside for some rattlecan painting before I start work on the detailing. Decal work should be done in an hour or two after that, once the paint cures.

Should have photos up tomorrow. And I've been documenting the build, with the date function enabled on my camera, to prove it's being done today.

Anybody else working on anything? We're about one week into the contest period.

UPDATE: Well, I inadvertently sabotaged myself by grabbing the wrong paint to use. I thought I grabbed a can of quick-drying Rustoleum enamel for a project, but it turns out it's the regular stuff. So . . . . I'm not going to finish in one day after all. It's gonna take 5 to 9 hours to fully cure before I can apply the decals. :roll:

Oh, well. I was trying to cut corners, and I didn't realize about the drying time. I was out of Testor's and tried to use what I had available.

I'll still post pics when I get the kit done.
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
nicholassagan

Post by nicholassagan »

Cool man! Looking forward to seeing it!
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

Sorry for the delay in getting these photos posted. It's been one of those weeks here, and my wife and youngest daughter were gone for two days on an overnight class field trip. They got home around 7:00 tonight, we went out to dinner, came home, and everyone else is already in bed. By the clock on the microwave, it's 9:30 p.m. Michigan time, and I'm the only one still up (unless you count the cats).

The kit that I chose to work on is the old Glencoe Models Convair Manned Observation Satellite. I was going to build my Mars Liner, but ran into a problem when I discovered that I was missing one half of one of the three landing legs. So . . . the MOS won.

As I mentioned before, I sabotaged myself by grabbing the wrong rattlecan, so the MOS ended up having to sit overnight to fully dry. It was my own fault, and I should have checked, but I was rushing and wasn't paying attention.

Anyway, after the overnight drying session, I started applying decals and ran into some problems with decals fragmenting when I tried to remove them from their backing paper. So I said "the heck with it" (or words to that effect) and cut down the number of decals I was going to use.

The MOS is now hanging from some nails in a shelving edge, that used to display WWII aircraft. It's hanging in "space" and might end up with a few 1:2500 Star Trek ships visiting at some point.

Here are the photos documenting the build:

The box . . .
Parts
T.G.F.C. - Thank God For Clamps!
One boom half done
Complete, ready for painting - except for the detail bits
A view from the shelf
Outside for painting
Another view post-painting
Back on the bench to dry . . . . for up to 9 hours! :evil:
Day 2 - paint dry and decals applied
Completed
Another view, overhead fly-by
Coming in for docking

I also made a boo-boo in construction, in that I mounted both of the docking ports on the underside of the "T" junctions rather than one on top and one on bottom. Oh, well.

It was fun, aside from rushing and not paying attention, but it was a nice change of pace to actually get something done in a short amount of time. My airbrush compressor is down (need parts) so I'm relying on rattlecans, brush painting, and detailing with toothpicks. Otherwise I would have done a bit more, in less time, and been able to get this done within the 24-hour timeframe.
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
nicholassagan

Post by nicholassagan »

Nice quick work! Cool to see a space station!
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Beauty, eh?

I have to do a one day build. I think I even know the subject! Maybe I will do one over WF weekend.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere