LED strip problems

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Chas

LED strip problems

Post by Chas »

I have a strip of 18 blue LEDs (easy LED from Paragraphix). I've soldered the leads on and used a 12v 23 AE batt. and at first they all lit up fine. When I removed the batt. & did some location tests (moving the strip around) then put the batt. back in place I only have 6 LEDs lighting reliably.
The 1st three light, the next six dark, the following three light & the last six dark. When I push down lightly on certain of the dark LEDs they will blink on in groups of three, but then go out again.
Is there something I may have done that broke them in some way? or is thee something I can do to get them all to light reliably & consistently?
Anyone else have experience with this kind of thing?
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
Scott Hasty

Post by Scott Hasty »

It may be rated at 12 volts, but it's current capability is for short pulses, as in small RF bursts like a car alarm remote. Essentially, you are draining the battery quickly, giving it a chance to rest, reconnecting it with a small bit of current left, lighting the first few LED's. In a parallel circuit voltage is constant and current is split.

You will either need to use a regulated wall wart or 8 AAA/AA's for this application...
I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason
Paulbo

Post by Paulbo »

Hi Chas,

I'm sorry to hear about your trouble. Without looking at your tape, my guess is that perhaps they were over-flexed and one or more solder connections in the bad sections has broken.

This is a very rare problem that sometimes happens. This is only the second time I've run into it in the past year of selling the strips. (I've been able to simulate it in-house, but it takes some work.)

You can check for this by applying power, then pressing on each of the four components in the damaged sections (don't forget about the resistor) singly and in different combinations. If you find which component(s) aren't connected a quick touch on the joints with your soldering gun will fix it.

If this fails to fix it, email me and I'll get a replacement on its way. I'd ask that you please send me yours back so I can diagnose the problem.

Regards,
Paul
Rather Fail with Honor, than Succeed by Fraud - Sophocles

Photoetched metal, decals, resin part, multimedia upgrades at ParaGrafix.biz. Breaking news on Facebook and Twitter.
Chas

Post by Chas »

Thanks for the tip Paulbo Ièll have a go with the soldering iron and see what comes of it. I purchased these from the SSM store not directly, if that makes any difference, I'm not sure. But I'll get back to you via email soon.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
Paulbo

Post by Paulbo »

Hi Chas,

My pleasure. It makes no difference to me if you bought it direct or through the SSM store - it's still my responsibility to stand behind the product.

Regards,
Paul
Chas wrote:Thanks for the tip Paulbo Ièll have a go with the soldering iron and see what comes of it. I purchased these from the SSM store not directly, if that makes any difference, I'm not sure. But I'll get back to you via email soon.
Rather Fail with Honor, than Succeed by Fraud - Sophocles

Photoetched metal, decals, resin part, multimedia upgrades at ParaGrafix.biz. Breaking news on Facebook and Twitter.
Chas

Post by Chas »

Just had to post that Paul is sending me out a new strip and I'm sending him back the one that I've been trying unsuccessfully to resuscitate. Great guy and great customer service! I'll be doing more business with him.