Low toxicity/quick cure room temp resin recommendations?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

No_6

Low toxicity/quick cure room temp resin recommendations?

Post by No_6 »

Like the title says. I'll still use my mask and use it in a well-ventilated area, but I need some stuff that isn't going to be so touchy. Easy to work with. Something where I won't need vacuums or special ovens or whatever. Something I can just leave on my deck for a few hours (or overnight in ~55° temps), and then bring inside for the rest of the cure without worrying about it poisoning me to death.

Also, it would be nice if it were relatively light-weight and very tough (tough enough to drop from 3-4 feet and not have it shatter, something that can be regularly handled without worrying about it chipping or flaking over time).

I don't mind if I have to fill a lot of pin-holes with Aves.

Oh, and it would be nice if I could cast it with a metal frame sticking out of it that would be held solidly enough I wouldn't have to drill or screws or additional support (but if I did, that's fine, too).

Any color is fine.
I am not a number.
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

Smooth-on SC-300 ( fast ) or 305 (slower )
Easy 1 to 1 ratio
Not brittle like polyester resins

They sell a sample kit... believe it's 2 quarts of resin total.
Costs around $30.00

Good stuff !
No_6

Post by No_6 »

SC305 sounds like the stuff. I read in the PDF infosheet that you can add pigment to the mixture. What would I use of I want it to look like aluminum?
I am not a number.
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

No_6 wrote:SC305 sounds like the stuff. I read in the PDF infosheet that you can add pigment to the mixture. What would I use of I want it to look like aluminum?
Actual powdered aluminum, or one of the metallic-colored Pearl-Ex powdered pigments.

Here's a Smooth-On video showing the process:
http://www.youtube.com/embed/8BIxSp6QNvA
No_6

Post by No_6 »

Thanks!

FYI, I'm going to be buying 100 rd magazines for my Pulse Rifle and will be sculpting and then casting the bottom parts of the pulse rifle. Having the part cast in something that looks like metal will save me a bunch of time when it comes to the finishing stage. :) I just have to figure out how I am going to attach the metal magazines to the resin base...
I am not a number.