Best thinner for enamels

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

chiver

Best thinner for enamels

Post by chiver »

I have just gotten my first air brush and compressor:) it is a campbell hausfeld standard duty dubble action and a master craft 3 gallon compressor as a birthday present, and am very excited to try it out. I put water through it to give it a try but I have no thinner. I have enough to clean my brushes with but that's all. What is a good brand of thinner i can find in a wallmart or home home depot?

Thanks in advance
KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON!!!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

It would that rare stuff called "paint thinner" in the paint solvents aisle.
Abolish Alliteration
Harry Joy

Post by Harry Joy »

I always recommend using the thinners the manufacturer says to use, usually the same brand. You can deviate from this, but not all paints are the same - not even enamels, so you should say what brand you are using.

Frankly, since you are learning to airbrush, I'd definitely use the right thinner. Don't start experimenting with mixes until you've mastered the brush. Some issues can be caused by using the wrong thinner, but since you are new to the "art", you wouldn't know what will be causing what issue. That comes with experience.
chiver

Post by chiver »

I had no idea it was called paint thinner :tank: :doubt: :roll: I don't have a hobby shop near me and don't want to wait a month to use it. I read some where about useing mineral sprites. Plus it costs alot for thinner from hobby shops. So I was looking for a brand name of something I can get from wallmart. Because they aren't going to have any idea what I'm talking about
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Mineral spirits are one of the forms of paint thinner. For Testors enamels it works just fine. You can get it in gallon containers.

But... you'd be better off using Testors acryls if you're spraying indoors as they are less likely to cause nervous disorders. They thin with water (if need be) and are an easier clean-up.
Abolish Alliteration
Harry Joy

Post by Harry Joy »

chiver wrote:I had no idea it was called paint thinner :tank: :doubt: :roll: I don't have a hobby shop near me and don't want to wait a month to use it. I read some where about useing mineral sprites. Plus it costs alot for thinner from hobby shops. So I was looking for a brand name of something I can get from wallmart. Because they aren't going to have any idea what I'm talking about
If you ask them for Sprites, and you get what I think you'll get, I'll be curious as to your results! I think it may be more suited to acrylics, but in a pinch, I use rubbing alcohol for that.

[As the fellow previous to me says, Model Master Acrylics can be thinning with a variety of stuff... Maybe even Sprite!]
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I think you mean "spirits".

"Sprites" will just get you sodas...
Abolish Alliteration
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Enamels will thin just fine with hardware store paint thinner. As you get better, you might want to move up to Model Master thinner. It flows through the airbrush better, I have no idea why. It's also about sixteen times as expensive, but since you are only using an eyedropper at a time, it doesn't much matter. Still, keep the cheap stuff around to clean the airbrush with.

If you're feeling adventurous, you can also thin enamels with lacquer thinner. It lends the paint some of the qualities of a lacquer, makes it a little more durable, lays down thin and smooth, and dries quicker. Depending on the type of airbrush you use, it'll eat your seals over time. And you really don't want to breath the stuff in. Just wear a charcoal filter mask and you'll be fine.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
sci-fi-bldr

Post by sci-fi-bldr »

Yep....I've used lacquer thinner in Model Master enamels for years...I like the quicker drying time....and as Mr. Badwrench said...the durability..(I'm rough on a model during the weathering process..)...it has good adhesion...especially on plastic

I've never seemed to experience any adverse problems in the spraying

I've used it in a Badger 150....and the seals didn't last too long.................right now I'm using it in Sotar....and a cheap-O Harbor Freight double action...with no problems in them.....

But there are the fumes to deal with...........LOTS of ventilation....if not bad things can happen..... :zb:
chiver

Post by chiver »

thanks guys, i think i'm going ot try ot fine some of testors enamel thinner if i cant find that, then I might switch to the acrylics. I just with I could find this stuff in bulk up here as its expensive. there is a store up here that has some hobby suplies but not very much