Washing a kit with REALLY hard well water help

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

nanook177

Washing a kit with REALLY hard well water help

Post by nanook177 »

I live out in the middle of nowhere and we are on a well. The water is harder than granite and almost always feels like there is residue after washing dishes or stepping out of the shower. I know you should wash a model kit before construction to get any oils off, but using my water I'm afraid I'll trade one problem for another. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Scott Hasty

Post by Scott Hasty »

This may be heresy to some, but I've never washed commercially mass-produced styrene kits and I've never had a problem with paint adhesion. If you feel you should wash, I suggest buying distilled water from your market and use that.
I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason
flyfort17

Post by flyfort17 »

I've never washed a plastic kit. Before I paint a model I will wipe it down with a cotton ball and rubbing alcohol, just to get the oils from my fingers off.
Todd
Im a peripheral visionary. I can see the future but only out of the corner of my eye.
Big Game Nerd

Post by Big Game Nerd »

If nothing else, boiling your water first should do the trick.
Steve
karim

Post by karim »

Distilled Water?
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

Since I wet sand most of my putty work, I find the kit ends up getting naturally washed as part of the sanding process.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by Glorfindel »

I'm going to suggest a guess and maybe someone else with more knowledge then I, which is most people, can correct me if I'm wrong. Try wiping the model down with a cotton ball and 90% rubbing alcohol before assembly or painting. This should help break down any mold release and clean the plastic up making for better joins and paint adhesion. It should also lift up any dust from sanding and take out unwanted finger prints. Not that there is anything wrong with your fingerprints...I'm sure their beautiful. I'm sure they look fantastic at the local Police Department.
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000