What is best to use for panel lines?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

muir318

What is best to use for panel lines?

Post by muir318 »

Hello guys

Whats the best way to make à Water based wash?
Also looking for the best way to make à wash for panel lines?
Thanks in advance for all answers
Fokker Ace

Post by Fokker Ace »

Artists water colors can be used to make a wash, or really any water based paint. The trick is getting them to flow correctly and thinning them to the correct consistency.

I'm not sure what difference you mean by a wash for panel lines, but the easy thing to do would be, if working with acrylics on your models, is to seal with a gloss coat (like Future floor wax) and then use a ready-made wash (like one from the Mig brand). I know Mig products are available in Europe and I believe Future may be called Kleer (check spelling) there. you can also make oil washes with oil paint thinned with turpenoid, some Liquin to help it flow and a drop of dish soap to make it easy to remove the excess. But the ready-made is good stuff and lasts a long time.

If you go to YouTube you will find many videos to learn from.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

As discussed here: http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/vie ... hp?t=15835 you can use watercolor paints with a bit of surfactant or you can try for a sludge wash using pastel powder mixed with some water.
Abolish Alliteration
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

Oil, water-based, pastel...all three work great. All are easy to wipe away and clean if you think you've made a mistake. I like how quick the pastel dries but I don't know if that's enough to give that technique the edge. Try them all and decide for yourself.
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000
Scott Hasty

Post by Scott Hasty »

I've done them all and the oil/turpenoid wash is the best, hands down.
I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason
southwestforests

Re: What is best to use for panel lines?

Post by southwestforests »

muir318 wrote:Also looking for the best way to make à wash for panel lines?
If the goal is to have a wash settle in to engraved panel lines it is a good idea to apply that wash over gloss paint or a gloss coat over matte paint because on matte paint the wash will settle in to the miniature-sandpaper-like surface texture of the matte paint. Over gloss it will better flow in to panel line engravings (assuming they are not filled by paint or the gloss coat) and also be easier to wipe up from where not wanted on surface paint.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
dizzyfugu

Re: What is best to use for panel lines?

Post by dizzyfugu »

southwestforests wrote:
muir318 wrote:Also looking for the best way to make à wash for panel lines?
If the goal is to have a wash settle in to engraved panel lines it is a good idea to apply that wash over gloss paint or a gloss coat over matte paint because on matte paint the wash will settle in to the miniature-sandpaper-like surface texture of the matte paint. Over gloss it will better flow in to panel line engravings (assuming they are not filled by paint or the gloss coat) and also be easier to wipe up from where not wanted on surface paint.
Totally agree. That's especially important for the later look of the model. On a matte surface, lots of wash pigments will cling to the surface recesses, making the kit look rather worn and dirty. This can be intended, but esp. in small scales the effect is easily too much - it is IMHO great for anything bigger than 1:72, or for ground use vehicles. But on more delicate things like planes or space type vehicles, rather use a glossy color under the wash, which will reduce the pigment residue and help keeping the wash inside of the panel engravings.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

To be honest I prefer to use something like a Gundam fine line pen and then remove the excess with a Q Tip and isopropyl alcohol..
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

You can also pen them in with a drafting/micron pen then overpaint with a weathering layer. Easy for major panel lines, but it doesn't work too well with access panels etc. which are usually finer.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Wug

Post by Wug »

I've never tried it but there's also the sludge wash.

http://www.swannysmodels.com/Weathering.html

Mike
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Wug wrote:I've never tried it but there's also the sludge wash.

http://www.swannysmodels.com/Weathering.html

Mike
3rd post down.
Abolish Alliteration