coating the republic star destroyer

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

florjon

coating the republic star destroyer

Post by florjon »

Hi
Still 2 More layers of paint to go, but then it would be time for the final coat. (on the bench 'republic star destroyer')
But i have never done this before so i have no idea which coat to use.
I have revell gloss and humbrol matt. I think using the matt?
Can someone pls advise me?
Also, do i need to thin it like the paint for airbrushing?

Thanks
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

I can just advise you NOT to use the Revell stuff. I used to use it years ago, but after handling my models just a few times the coat started to get slightly sticky and dirty, with dirt accumulating in corners, on edges and panel lines. I´ll never use that again.

I cannot say anything about Humbrol as I´ve never used it.

But I can recommend Vallejo clear coats from the spray can, even very thick, wet coats become crystal clear, very hard and durable and it dries very quickly. The exact name is "Vallejo Premium Varnish Spray Matte (400ml)", product number 28531 or "Vallejo Premium Varnish Spray Brillante Gloss (400ml)", product number 28530.
florjon

Post by florjon »

Thats a solid advise.
That brand is very hard to find in holland, only found the small 17ml can for the airbrush, so i ordered that.
Otherwise i have to pay 30€ for The 400Ml spray. (with shipping from germany...)
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

Yes it´s not so easy for me to get either, I first ordered it from the German online shop http://www.fantasy-in.de , but found it to be slightly cheaper here: http://www.modellbau-universe.de/produk ... ;1;1;1.htm
A local model shop also carries Vallejo stuff but I have to order the spray cans, and it takes 2-3 months until they receive it! :roll:
florjon

Post by florjon »

Hi

I'm about to put the final coat on it. (matte)
But i was wondering, do i do that before, or after removing the fibre optics that are sticking out of model?