Rustoleon Metallic Silver on Plastic

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Matt1982

Rustoleon Metallic Silver on Plastic

Post by Matt1982 »

I saw a YouTube video of someone named badgrendel using rustoleon metallic silver to paint the inside of a nx-01 for light blocking. The hardware store guy actually recommended it over krylon, too.

It is a bit tacky as it may be reacting to the plastic, but will it eventually dry? Things can't react forever, right?!?
Fokker Ace

Re: Rustoleon Metallic Silver on Plastic

Post by Fokker Ace »

Matt1982 wrote: It is a bit tacky as it may be reacting to the plastic, but will it eventually dry? Things can't react forever, right?!?
How long has it been tacky? Depending on the air temp and humidity and how thick you applied it may take a few hours to dry.

Did you put some primer down first? That would be the best way to go, use the metallic over the primer.
Matt1982

Post by Matt1982 »

No primer and it's fairly thick. I was going for light blocking and not artistic excellence :(

It's been about 24 hours. Do you think it would be reasonably dry enough within a week or two?

Its on the inside and at most I just want to superglue some lights to its surface when it's good enough.

Could I just cover it up with foil tape worst scenario?
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Rustoleum takes days to dry usually. Best bet is to set it somewhere safe and forget about it for a bit. I found one of their colors that matched my car exactly so I used it for a few touch-up areas and it was a couple of days before it wasn't taking a fingerprint. And that was in the hot Summer.

It definitely will dry though. Rustoleum is just notorious for taking forever, although it's tough paint. I've seen bikes and even Jeeps painted with it that look great for years.

-Rog
Matt1982

Post by Matt1982 »

I put it in a storage compartment which happens to have pipes running through the compartment. it's very warm and dry.

Magic! Yesterday I could scrape off a goo like paint with my finger nail and today's its relatively hard!

Phew!!!