How do I read these disk capacitors?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

MillenniumFalsehood

How do I read these disk capacitors?

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Wow, two questions in the same night . . .

I've got a box of assorted capacitors. They all have various numbers on them, sometimes followed by a K.

How should I interpret these numbers? They don't appear to be capacitance ratings, because they don't have a uF symbol (I'm probably wrong; my electronics experience is mostly in the theoretical, with the only practical knowledge being which end of an LED to hook up to the negative pole and how many a 9V battery will light with a resistor attached).
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Re: How do I read these disk capacitors?

Post by USS Atlantis »

MillenniumFalsehood wrote:Wow, two questions in the same night . . .

I've got a box of assorted capacitors. They all have various numbers on them, sometimes followed by a K.
Disc capacitors are rated in pf values, similar to how resistors are rated - they use 3 digits

First digit is the first number
Second digit is the second number
Third digit is the number of zeros to tack on the end

So a 472 would be 4700pf or 4.7nf
and a 106 would be 10000000pf or 10m pf, 10k nf or 10mf
MillenniumFalsehood wrote:How should I interpret these numbers? They don't appear to be capacitance ratings, because they don't have a uF symbol (I'm probably wrong; my electronics experience is mostly in the theoretical, with the only practical knowledge being which end of an LED to hook up to the negative pole and how many a 9V battery will light with a resistor attached).
The letter isn't much use, it indicates tolerance, hardly anyone uses it anymore
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Thanks a lot, dude! :D
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!