New model builder with a question on washes/weathering !

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

muir318

New model builder with a question on washes/weathering !

Post by muir318 »

Hello guys,

As i have said on previous posts on the forums ,i am new to building models.My question is regarding weathering and washes!
I will be building mainly star wars kits!
I am Building my first model just now.
I have a can of tamiya grey surface primer and a can of testors glosscote!
My question is after i spray the primer to the model and leave to dry over night i intend to do a wash with pastels on the kit with other weathering also! Do i have to spray the glosscote before i start the wash and weathering or wait until after i have done the wash etc?

Thanks in advance for all answers
geck

Post by geck »

Is the primer your final base color or are you just doing pre-shading before you paint the final color?

Since you are using a primer first...spraying glosscote before weathering is not necessary. If the pastel weathering is final...you would want to glosscote it afterward.

BUT...DO NOT use Testors Glosscote for this!

It is a laquer and will probably make your hard weathering work disappear before your very eyes.

Use an acrylic glosscote if you can for sealing pastel weathering (you still may lose some of the powder when this goes on). As an alternative you could try to paint the weathering on OR use powders that have an adhesvie in them such as those from Tamiya or MiG. That way you can weather on the final paint layer...and not have to worry about the final powder layer lifting or blowing off as much.

I myself use powders VERY sparingly and instead try to paint as much weathering on the model as possible. It is more permanent.

Good luck.
muir318

Post by muir318 »

Thanks for thye reply!!

Yes the primer will be my final base coat.
If i bought a tamiya black acrylic paint could i use water to thin it and use that as a wash rather than pastels?
I intend to do the panel lines and add general grubbyness to legs and body etc of my model!
geck

Post by geck »

Yes you can...but...

A better way to go would be to use oil paint and odorless turpentine. The oils have a long working time and aren't subject to the surface tension problems that acrylic washes present.

If Tamiya paint is all you have...I would recommend thinning it with their thinner at the very least. Their thinner has a retarding agent in it that will keep the paint from drying too quickly. Just be mindful of the surface you are applying the wash to. Since you are applying over their primer you should be fine.

If you have to use water to thin...add a drop of dishwashing detergent (or rubbing alcohol) to break the surface tension. I have never had any luck with acrylic washes and use oils exclusively. Oils also allow for great streaking effects.

With panel lines...I actually "paint" them with slightly thinned oil paint and a chisel tipped brush. The advantage to this is I get precisely the right look to the panel lines and can make the lines as dark or as light as I want. If too much paint gets on the model...I simply use a cotton swab with thinner to wipe away the excess.

I could sing the praises of oil paints all day...they really opened up a whole new world of weathering for me.
tmajor

Post by tmajor »

geck wrote:I could sing the praises of oil paints all day...they really opened up a whole new world of weathering for me.
I second that. Oils are so versatile. I used to do my pin washes with enamel thinned with naptha, but have been totally converted to oils. As geck mentioned they are easier to work with, but there is something about the way they look when dry that just looks more natural.