Thinning Mr Disolved Putty

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Matty1973

Thinning Mr Disolved Putty

Post by Matty1973 »

Hey all what is the best product to thin Mr disolved putty and for clean up
Check out my Borg Enhanced Voyager
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKaMTm4Lvmk
JasonJDF

Post by JasonJDF »

I use lacquer thinner. Just be careful not to thin too much, it can get quite hot and attack some kits. I usually start with Mr White Putty. Sand, then over-coat with Dissolved Putty. I like to finish with Mr Surfacer 1000. Sand again, and you should be good to go to prime. I brush on the Dissolved Putty and Mr Surfacer.

Mr Surfacer 500 is a pretty good option as well. It seems to be very close to Dissolved Putty in viscosity.

Lacquer thinner is the only thing I've found to really do a good job for cleaning.

I have also had great luck with thinning Mr White putty with lacquer thinner to get a consistency somewhere between dissolved and straight putty. It also gives a little longer working time before it starts to "skin" over.
The day started off with instructions and ended up KITBASHED!
DLMatthys
Location: "Fracking? Not in my back yard. Now get off my ranch!

Post by DLMatthys »

This was a timely topic...

I got an order in from Sprue Brothers today for two rattle cans of MR1000 and a 40ml bottle of Mr Primer Surfacer 1000

The sniff test was that is smelled like model airplane dope...a lacqure base paint. I wanted to shoot it (the bottle MR 1000) through an airbrush. I have some and will try some on a pending project.
I like the smooth and satin finish.

IMO I think the rattle cans comes out way to fast and heavy. Prone to and wants to run. I would figure the air brush would give me some more control on the flow.
DL Matthys
don@dlmparts.com
http://www.dlmparts.com
Make it Glow!
flyfort17

Post by flyfort17 »

You can also thin it with Mr Color thinner.
Todd
Im a peripheral visionary. I can see the future but only out of the corner of my eye.