FYI: McDonald's Avatar Happy Meal Toys Circuit

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

No_6

FYI: McDonald's Avatar Happy Meal Toys Circuit

Post by No_6 »

As many of you know, the Avatar toys have a small chip in them. Almost all of them have a sound/vibration sensor connected to a small, programmed chip. The larger toys (the animals) have 2-3 LEDs in them (not sure as I haven't pulled these open yet), while the figures have a single LED.

Well, I was wondering how robust these circuits were to use to future builds. How many mA can they take? So I took one of the boards out of a Jake Sully and connected it one of my regulated 1000mA wall-warts and set it to 3 watts. I then wired 8 amber LEDs to it in parallel and let it fly. I didn't test it long, under a minute, but it seemed to hold up just fine. No smoking or burning. :/ If anyone is interested, I will do a longer test, say 5 minutes after the holidays and will post up pictures and maybe even a video.
I am not a number.
Mr. Engineer

Post by Mr. Engineer »

Whoa! 3watts is a lot!

Anyway, in this case, its the voltage. How many batteries are there? It might help if you could take extremely clear hi-res photos of the circuit board (top & bottom)
What can I take apart today?

https://www.facebook.com/PisceanWorks
No_6

Post by No_6 »

Whupps, sorry, yeah. 3 volts. Each toy takes 3 small watch batteries.
I am not a number.
Maschinen Krueger

Post by Maschinen Krueger »

along the vein of getting toys to do the work for you...

I had an old talking Napoleon Dynamite plush doll. I never wanted it in the first place, but he is way past current so I had no issue with gutting him for the electronics. I only wanted the battery pack inside but kept the functioning electronics intact. There was a pack with a small board and and 3AAA cells. From this a pair or wires ran to a circuit with a momentary switch and another pair ran to the speaker.

Just to see what happens, I chopped off the speaker and attached an LED. When I pushed the momentary switch, it ran the program but instead of "Vote for Pedro" and "Sweet" it pulsed the LED with a random/flickering repeating pattern.

Change the momentary for an ON/OFF, and you got a flickering fire or welding sparks.

Pretty cool for free.