Chrome "erosion"-anybody seen this?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

E-Dub

Chrome "erosion"-anybody seen this?

Post by E-Dub »

As I've mentioned in another thread, I've been cleaning my models. Yesterday I pulled down my "Pilgrim-Observer" and much of the chrome on all the plated pieces was just plain gone. I've never seen this before. Is this just a hazard with plated parts or might this have been a freak occurance?
PITHY SAYING TO BE ADDED LATER
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

It happens. I'm sure the chemists here could tell us the how & why if needed. I usually strip chrome off anyways.
Abolish Alliteration
NNYGamer

Post by NNYGamer »

That happened to a lot of my stuff i stored in my cellar, being the only place I could store stuff it was not ideal. Damp ruined boxes and decals and I swear the mildew ate the chrome.
I have no signature.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Kylwell wrote:It happens. I'm sure the chemists here could tell us the how & why if needed. I usually strip chrome off anyways.
Seconded. Some if them have a binder (closest thing I know to call it) under the chrome that almost has a gray-brown or beige color to it. On the rare occasion I have something pre-chromed, into the Super-Clean it goes.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
E-Dub

Post by E-Dub »

Live and learn, I guess. Thanks guys.
PITHY SAYING TO BE ADDED LATER
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

It's because it's not really chrome, but basically a very fragile lacquer paint. It usually flakes off if you look at it wrong, so time, temperature, and moisture will definitely affect it. Since most of the time it's pretty out of scale anyway, it's usually a good idea to strip it and redo with the chrome replication method of your choice.

-Rog
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Speaking as a chemist, kit chrome is crap. Remove it and foil or Alclad it.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

I've seen that before. I suspect that what happens is that the final coat of clear lacquer doesn't adequately protect the shiny aluminum layer, which gets oxidized into (transparent) aluminum oxide.

I've also seen model cars (Revell, mid-eighties) where the final clear lacquer coat was omitted, and the aluminum rubbed off as you handled the part. :(
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Rocketeer wrote:I've seen that before. I suspect that what happens is that the final coat of clear lacquer doesn't adequately protect the shiny aluminum layer, which gets oxidized into (transparent) aluminum oxide.
I agree, there was a GIJOE toy from the 80's that suffered from this problem as well:

http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/90/skyraven/

The chrome plating wore off easily when playing with the toy, even sealed NIB examples when opened show erosion of the chrome plating.

Ken