Making small models look large

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

grabula

Making small models look large

Post by grabula »

Hey all, I'm working on a couple of small diorams involving mecha. The models themselves are only about 4" tall or so and I'm looking for ways to make them look like they're supposed to be huge. Part of the effort will go into the base of the diorama but I'm hoping to find ways to make the models themselves give the appearance of huge machines. Any advice?
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Make the base/diorama/etc. items smaller than usual, that will make the mech look bigger by comparison.

Ex-

Say the mech is 1/100 scale, make the other items in the diorama to 1/144 or smaller scale.

Ken
Ace Airspeed

Post by Ace Airspeed »

Avoid using too many gloss colors / finishes. The sheen is way out of scale even for some larger models. I like to use satin finishes to represent gloss...flat for most work.
Just Plain Al

Post by Just Plain Al »

When weathering, try make dust streaks, oil smears, etc. smaller than you normally would. It should give the appearance of a normal stain on a larger surface.
grabula

Post by grabula »

not a bad idea going with a base that's slightly out of scale. Mostly what I'm looking for is if there are painting or other techniques to make the models themselves look like they should be huge, in a vacuum - without the base.
CaptBillD

Post by CaptBillD »

Lighten your mil. flat colors for scale distance. Use camo grey for white, and gray down black w/ lt. brown. Drop the intensity of hues for other colors with a drop or two of their color wheel opposite- haze down the palette as if viewing the scene from a distance. There is an IPMS scale for adding white to aircraft and armor models.

Oops, just saw the bit about vacuum- that doesn't work. There is no atmospheric haze in space. Visual cues we are used to on Earth aren't there in space, and judging scale and distance just don't work the way our eyes and brains evolved. You need objects that are a known size to establish scale then, like troop figures.
What are we running here, Number One- a cadet ship?
Fokker Ace

Post by Fokker Ace »

I'd second the tips about flat finishes and lightening colors for scale. Very important things to make models seem like more than tiny objects.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

There may not be any atmospheric haze in space, but I would disregard that. If you are looking to add visual cues for scale, tamping down bright colors by greying or bluing them down is a good trick. Sometimes artistic license is better than strict adherence to realism.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Mad-Modeler

Post by Mad-Modeler »

Adding to what was said about the weathering damages also add small details and paint fine details, etc.

Maintenance markings, etc also help give a sense of size.

While not quiet the same look at scale-modelers(like Bike models) as many that are shot close-up will look like the real thing.
Just as detailed, etc.
oliver_s

Post by oliver_s »

"Making small models look large"

Can't you move closer, instanltly looks bigger :)

Sorry, couldn't resist.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

NO black, NO white. Shading instead of harsher drybrushing. Remember, the smaller the model scale the farther the viewer is from the subject.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
naoto

Post by naoto »

Now if only one could do a "reverse-transform" of "tilt-shift"...
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/11 ... otography/
Naoto Kimura
木村直人