Where is Tamiya Primer

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

nurturer

Where is Tamiya Primer

Post by nurturer »

There is no Tamiya Primer to be found anywhere. I'm hearing it has been discontinued. The best primer on the planet and they discontinue it.

What? It didn't sell?

Has anyone heard anything about this?
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

Been talked about a lot here......temp out of stock due to new can labels needed. Tamiya say april ETA they hope. Get some Dupli-color until then.
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

According to some of the auto modelers news (they LOVE this stuff):

"Apparently the old supplier quit making it, so Tamiya had to change manufacturers, now the new manufacturer has a slightly different formula, so guess what, this formula has to be certified by the paint police in California, before they can distribute it en-mass."

I have no idea if that is a true fact or merely a modeling rumor. But, given how the Left Coast gets crazy with regulations and chemicals and the proper paperwork, it is all too plausible.

The same kind of shortage hit back in '05 over not having mandatory warning data on the packaging, and nobody could find a can of this stuff for love nor money.
________
Joe Brown
Ace Airspeed

Post by Ace Airspeed »

If / when it hits the shelves again, I'm going to start hoarding it. I have one can of white left................................. :(
nurturer

Post by nurturer »

I remember this crap happening once back in 1998. There was a drought for about a year. It was about the aerosol or something. Like there's no other aerosol can in action in the US of A. More environmental idiocy.
LiebeVision

Post by LiebeVision »

southwestforests

Post by southwestforests »

This is likely part of it.
http://www.modelretailer.com/en/The%20I ... Paint.aspx
Tamiya updating labels
By Tim Kidwell
Published: February 4, 2011
Tamiya America
Tamiya America released a statement on Thursday concerning its efforts to update some of its products to comply with U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission standards. This is reflected mostly in label updates and not a reformulation of products.

In the release, Tamiya says it recognizes and understands that distributors and retailers are having difficulties getting certain products, but is working as quickly as it can to bring all of its products into compliance. Items currently in the process of relabelling include:

Tamiya Acrylic Paint (813XX, 817XX, 815XX and 810XX); Tamiya Putty (87053 and 87095); Tamiya Cements (87012 and 87038); Tamiya Thinners (81520, 81020, 81030, 81040 and 87077); Tamiya Primers (87026, 87042, 87044, 87061, 87064, 87075 and 87096)

The anticipated re-release date for these products is April 2011.

Fred Medel, head of marketing for Tamiya America said that there will be a large backorder to fill when the supply line is back to 100%.

"As a former retailer, I would recommend to keep placing orders so you're not stuck in the back of the line when supply and shipping begin again," he said.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
MedixWerkeShoppe

Post by MedixWerkeShoppe »

I had to order directly from China to get 6 cans of Tamiya White Primer! It's readily available on Ebay. I ordered from them before and it took 3 weeks to arrive and is the real thing. There is no real substitute for a low filler primer like tamiya primer.
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

I'm told at my local hobby store that Tamiya has some kind of carcinogen so the had to take it off the shelves until Tamiya reformulates without that chemical.

Don't know if it's true, but it does explain all of the stock disapearing overnight and impossible to get.
Young at heart! {Other parts slightly older}

my model page http://gerry1of1.wordpress.com/
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

It's a label issue caused by a questionable California law. Combined with the MAJOR problems in Japan the last 6 months and you get big delays. I say Tamiya USA needs to move to a state without CA laws and ship the paint there.....CA will be on there own...... :P
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

It's readily available here in Canada. Find a Canadian on-line shop and order from them. It can even go by surface post then.

We did have a similar issue here in Canada 15-20 years ago when label laws changed to demand French along with English on products. Just about everything model related disappeared off the shelves for a while until locally produced labels could be applied to stock at distributers. Then it all showed up again and all was well.

Paul
The future is in your hands. Build it!
MedixWerkeShoppe

Look on Ebay! There are places in the States and Canada that now have it. Unless you wanna wait and you can get it directly from Hong Kong.

Mike
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Wouldn't that be directly from Japan?
Abolish Alliteration
MedixWerkeShoppe

None of the sellers are in Japan. they're all in Hong Kong. But alas...There's one seller in the States on Ebay right now. But word of note...You might like to try Mr Surfacer 1200. Sprays just as fine and much like Tamiya!

Mike
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

On ebay yes, elsewhere....

I just wish the USPS would start accepting liquids in small amounts. I love having to ship 10ml bottles of paint via Fedx.
Abolish Alliteration
Paulbo

Post by Paulbo »

My LHS owner told me last week that they'd be receiving it (finally!) in the next week or two. Yippee!
Rather Fail with Honor, than Succeed by Fraud - Sophocles

Photoetched metal, decals, resin part, multimedia upgrades at ParaGrafix.biz. Breaking news on Facebook and Twitter.
Ace Airspeed

Post by Ace Airspeed »

It's back! :drink:

My LHS is also receiving a restock soon.

Oh, happy days are here again! :D
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Moving this to finishing.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati