LED switch.

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

joe155

LED switch.

Post by joe155 »

Hi, everyone, I am going to ask a silly question I know someone can help me, I suppose I am being a little dislexic tonight, but I am trying to hook up a toggle switch just to simply turn on 2 3mm LEDs I am using a 9 volt batt. for the job, it funtions well as it should when I turn it on, but when I turn it off the battery gets real HOT!!! I had used used the LED array Wizard to help me with the correct resistor to use, and that seemed to work well, but I just can't figure out what else I can do to stop this battery from heating so much,.. just 2 little LEDs are kicken my butt, its getting down right embarassing....hopfully someone can help... I woud apprciate all the help I can get.. :roll:
Taking over the center seat Will!
tetsujin

Post by tetsujin »

Maybe instead of gating the current through the LED with the switch, you hooked it up so that it short-circuits the battery instead? Don't do that.
---GEC (三面図流の初段)
There are no rats.
The skulls eat them.
paraclete1

Post by paraclete1 »

Is the battery getting hot while the LEDs are lit?

If you have a multimeter, check for a short in the switch when its in the off position.

If the battery is only getting hot when the switch is off, it sounds like a dead short is happening in the switchs off position. I learned about dead shorts when I was carrying a 9v battery in my pocket and I put my dog tags in the same pocket. The chain laid across the terminals and my leg suddenly started getting hot to the point it almost blistered. If there isn't a load, the battery just burns up when the circuit is completed between terminals.
Don "Let me buy just one more, then I'll quit... I promise!" Pugh
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

What wires do you have attached to your switch? Between the battery and LEDs you should have a black wire from the battery going to the switch, and then another black wire going from the switch to the LEDs.
"Dead or alive, your'e coming with me"
joe155

LED switch

Post by joe155 »

OK!! I got it to work correctly, battery normal temp, LEDs @ full brightness, all works well, I want to thank every one that replied to my question, Thanks everyone!! :o the problem was I did need to run another black wire from the LED to the switch, and that was the cure,..I have to thank robiwon for that....Thanks again.
Taking over the center seat Will!
paraclete1

Post by paraclete1 »

Good Job!
Don "Let me buy just one more, then I'll quit... I promise!" Pugh
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

Your welcome! :D
"Dead or alive, your'e coming with me"