Curling INKjet printed decals

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jimboh1

Curling INKjet printed decals

Post by jimboh1 »

Working on an Ent-b with Arthur Pendragons' decals printed on an inkjet on Experts-Choice clear paper sealed with two coats of Testor's decal bonder.

The decals really curl and are impossible to manipulate once they're off the backing; any thoughts on how to prevent this curl?

I tired Solvaset on a small one, but it just crazed dramatically and was then really not usable... any thoughts appreciated~!

Jim
Last edited by jimboh1 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim HANDS
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Since these are laser-printed, I'd try skipping the decal bonder spray since it's adding thickness to the decal. The surface of the decal will be more fragile and susceptible to scratches, so keep that in mind when handling them.
jimboh1

Post by jimboh1 »

Thanks for your thought, Joseph. I meant to say INK jet in my first post, not laser though... And if I don't seal it the ink just runs of course.

Jim
Jim HANDS
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Well, it that case you're SOL :wink: But try to reduce the thickness of your sealer coat as much as you can; you could decant the Testors spray and shoot a couple of coats through your airbrush. The thickness would be reduced but the coverage should be good enough to seal in the ink.
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Or use the Microscale liquid decal film. I used it successfully on some inkjet decals not long ago. I just brushed it on with a wide brush, single coat. the ink didn't run at all. Just make sure it's thoroughly dry before even touching the decal image.

Kev
tonyzony

Re: Curling INKjet printed decals

Post by tonyzony »

jimboh1 wrote:Working on an Ent-b with Arthur Pendragons' decals printed on an inkjet on Experts-Choice clear paper sealed with two coats of Testor's decal bonder.

The decals really curl and are impossible to manipulate once they're off the backing; any thoughts on how to prevent this curl?

I tired Solvaset on a small one, but it just crazed dramatically and was then really not usable... any thoughts appreciated~!

Jim
Hi, anyone has any experience from buying inkjetsuperstore.com?
nash30

Re: Curling INKjet printed decals

Post by nash30 »

tonyzony wrote:
jimboh1 wrote:Working on an Ent-b with Arthur Pendragons' decals printed on an inkjet on Experts-Choice clear paper sealed with two coats of Testor's decal bonder.

Jim
Hi, anyone has any experience from buying inkjetsuperstore.com?
I don't think you can find one there. I searched over their site when I saw your post. I already called them and they were like"we don't have that here"/