Water mixable Oils...

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

sci-fi-bldr

Water mixable Oils...

Post by sci-fi-bldr »

I was at my local Hobby Lobby today...and seen some of these for sale.......and was wondering if any of you have used any of these types of paints......

Mainly I was thinking in terms of using them for weathering.....but any exerience with them will be helpful.......

Thanks............
Dukat, S.G.

Re: Water mixable Oils...

Post by Dukat, S.G. »

sci-fi-bldr wrote:I was at my local Hobby Lobby today...and seen some of these for sale.......and was wondering if any of you have used any of these types of paints......

Mainly I was thinking in terms of using them for weathering.....but any exerience with them will be helpful.......

Thanks............
Are they the Windsor and Newton "Artesian" paints?

I have tried some of those and, to be blunt, I don't like them. At all. Maybe I should've experimented with them more, but I think you're much better off using standard artist's oils.

Oh: one thing I will say for the Artesian line is that the matte clear coat they offer is great stuff. As someone noted in another thread, once it's cured, it's basically impenetrable. I brushed a light coat of it on a part and after it dried (I gave it a couple of days), I couldn't remove it with oven cleaner :shock:
"Cardassians do like to talk. I suppose
it can be a failing, at times."-- Dukat

(My real name's Sean Robertson. Don't let the scales and alter-ego fool you ;D.)
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

I quite like the W&N Artisan paints for figures. They mix well and because they take a fair while to dry (not as long as standard oils), they are great for blending. The BIG advantage over standard oils is that brush cleaning is much easier and gentler on expensive brushes.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson