krylon fusion - stupid noobish questions

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Spacephrawg

krylon fusion - stupid noobish questions

Post by Spacephrawg »

what makes it better? is it just less likely to scratch off the plastic surface or something?

Can you paint over it with acrylic and sealants?

What does it use as a solvent?

Is there anything else i should know about it? pros/cons?

thanks
When life gives you lemons, don't despair. no one gives me lemons
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

I haven't found it to be any more durable... On some of the classic car forums I visit people are crazy about it for interior trim pieces, but I found that it eventually flakes off just like regular spray paint as the underlying plastic lets go of it. It's not like it somehow bonds to the plastic like a dye or something, as seems to be the implication.

If anything it probably just doesn't contain solvents that are going to melt or weaken plastic.

I've never had an issue painting over it with anything.

-Rog
Spacephrawg

Post by Spacephrawg »

Rogviler wrote:I haven't found it to be any more durable... On some of the classic car forums I visit people are crazy about it for interior trim pieces, but I found that it eventually flakes off just like regular spray paint as the underlying plastic lets go of it. It's not like it somehow bonds to the plastic like a dye or something, as seems to be the implication.

If anything it probably just doesn't contain solvents that are going to melt or weaken plastic.

I've never had an issue painting over it with anything.

-Rog
Interesting. is there any other sort of paint that won't flake off?

meanwhile, what kinds of dye are there out there besides vinyl dye?
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

I'm wondering if (per your other thread) "vinyl dye" is stuff like DupliColor Vinyl & Fabric spray, for instance. I was thinking of something you would dip a piece in, but if that's what everyone's talking about then it works really well. I'm doing the interior of a '78 Audi I have and wanted to update the icky and dated tan and brown. The DupliColor stuff effectively covered the dark brown with light beige and the black spray covered tan with no problem.

I'm not sure I would call it a dye simply because it does change the color so well, but it will do seats and it won't rub off, so it's somewhere between a dye and paint.

It works good on some plastic, but of course your color choices are limited. It doesn't flake off, but it is a flexible surface. I've never used it on a really hard plastic.

-Rog
Spacephrawg

Post by Spacephrawg »

yes that is the stuff i was talking about. Apparently the PC case modding community is fond of the stuff. I"m just trying to find out about it and the alternatives.

Maybe I should try this?:

sand the thing first, then vinyl dye it, then use acrylic paint on the roughed up dyed surface (at least i know acrylic is supposed to work on it)?

I was wondering about it working on styrene because I might add some cosmetic extras on the Nerf gun using the stuff. emphasis on the "Might".

Does acrylic have less staying power than other kinds of paint when painted onto plastic, assuming the host surface is roughed up a little first?