A Non-Damaging Varnish to Apply before Matt Varnish?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Dale M. Rollinson

A Non-Damaging Varnish to Apply before Matt Varnish?

Post by Dale M. Rollinson »

I want to apply a matt varnish to my 1701 after applying decals, with the aid of Micro Crystal Klear to seal in the decals.

Now, Micro Crystal Klear gives an unwanted glossy shine. So this is why I want to apply matt varnish.

I am using the Army Painter Matt, which I find to be very good. However, it partially destroys a thin layer of the surface underneath (as does any matt).

Having tested the varnish on some other models I have found that it has stripped off the paint.

I read that it's good to apply "Klear" floor varnish, then the matt varnish. I hoped that the Humbrol gloss would work just like "Klear".

So, I tried a Humbrol gloss finish...and again the paint streaks away as a result of the gloss varnish :(

So now I have two cans of gloss & matt which both work like paint-strippers! :x

Any ideas on alternatives to "Klear" (£27 on eBay!), which allows you to spray matt varnish afterwards, without the risk of damaging the paint :?:
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Badger makes some good acrylic clear coats in both flat, semi- and gloss lusters. I used them before going to the JW Etc's we have here in the states.

Also, you may try Liquitex, Golden or Winsor & Newton. All of them make acrylic airbrush mediums, which are just the clear parts of acrylic paint, sans pigment. You can take the medium and, if needed, thin it a bit with water and surfactant (Liquitex Flow Aid for Liquitex, for example, or a drop of dishwashing soap) to airbrush.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Beaveranger

Post by Beaveranger »

I use the Vallejo line of varnishes. Matte, Satin, and gloss. They are acrylic based and have never done any damage to my paint or decals.
"You should call Kenny Loggins and let him know you're in the 'Danger Zone,'
or have someone do it for you.....
DAANNGGGEEERR ZZOONNEE!!" -- Archer

My Blog
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Klear for £27! :shock: :shock: :shock: - Somebody's taking the proverbial there. ASDA sell it for about £2.65!

Assumuing that you are in the UK, the gentlest varnishes are Artist's Acrylic Varnishes. Brands like Daler/Rowney and Windsor & Newton are the best known and are available at art shops, (sometimes) WH Smiths and craft shops (like Hobbycraft). Both do matt, gloss and satin/semi-gloss finishes. They are gentle to both paintwork, decals and weathering and are very resistant to yellowing.

If you have an airbrush Vallejo, though, really is the best.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson