Tamiya spray AS-16 out of stock

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

briannyc70

Tamiya spray AS-16 out of stock

Post by briannyc70 »

Hope I'm posting this in the right spot...recently purchased some Fine Molds kits (Tie fighter, X-wing, Y-wing, 1/144 MF) and many ask for a light gray body color. Not ready to go for airbrushing yet so wanted to do with spray cans. Tamiya AS-16 (USAF) light gray seems to be optimal choice but I can't find it ANYWHERE in stock. I even tried ordering it off one site that said it was in stock only to be given a refund when they checked their inventory and it wasn't there.

Is this just a high demand problem or something else? Any good replacement sprays for AS-16 that would still give good color choice for these FM kits?
Beaveranger

Post by Beaveranger »

From what I hear, Tamiya is going through a re-labeling, and a lot of their stuff is unavailable in the US. Not sure if this includes their spray cans or not...
"You should call Kenny Loggins and let him know you're in the 'Danger Zone,'
or have someone do it for you.....
DAANNGGGEEERR ZZOONNEE!!" -- Archer

My Blog
briannyc70

Post by briannyc70 »

Thanks...that makes sense now. Sounds like "early July" is now the potential date for starting to send back to US.

Anyone know of some good spray alternatives to AS-16 light gray that would still give similar color scheme to the fine molds kits? Testors seems to have a camouflage gray (1933) that is a bit lighter looking on paint4models.com paint conversion table but not too far off the mark.
MedixWerkeShoppe

China and Ebay

Post by MedixWerkeShoppe »

I've ordered alot of Tamiya Spray on Ebay straight from China. It takes three weeks and its the real stuff. I don't mind waiting due to other projects or just prepping of my replica take up the time before paint. I hope this helps.

Mike
seam-filler

Re: China and Ebay

Post by seam-filler »

MedixWerkeShoppe wrote:I've ordered alot of Tamiya Spray on Ebay straight from China. It takes three weeks and its the real stuff. I don't mind waiting due to other projects or just prepping of my replica take up the time before paint. I hope this helps.

Mike
Just don't be surprised if your your shipment gets impounded by customs.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

Current Tamiya labels are fine in 49 states....just California is causing the issue. I say Tamiya move to another state and forget about regulation crazy CA...... :D