Alternative glues/solvents

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Beaveranger

Alternative glues/solvents

Post by Beaveranger »

I currently use Tenax 7R and Plastruct plastic weld for the majority of my gluing. (Plastic kits, obviously) I have been reading a few things about some people recommending Methylethyl Ketone (M.E.K.) as a cheaper alternative to these.

I have also read that it is good for "most" plastics. Does anyone here have any experience with this? Which plastics work, which don't, etc....
"You should call Kenny Loggins and let him know you're in the 'Danger Zone,'
or have someone do it for you.....
DAANNGGGEEERR ZZOONNEE!!" -- Archer

My Blog
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

I like TAP Plastics acrylic cement-
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=130
Contains methylene chloride, so it works well on acrylic, ABS and styrene. And the big can is relatively inexpensive. In a pinch I've used purple primer for PVC pipe. It is dirt cheap, but will stink you out of the house.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Methyl Ethyl Ketone (M.E.K.) is a sensitizer - exposure can make you lethally sensitive to M.E.K. fumes and liquid. I used to use it a lot as the hardener when I was doing resin casting. Now the fumes can literally choke the life out of me.

You might not want use it.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Is MEK cheaper? Yes, you can buy it by the gallon.

Is MEK better? No, not really, just cheaper.

Is MEK more dangerous? Hells yes. Well ventilated doesn't even begin to describe a proper place to use it.

Just stick with Tenax.

I really wish someone would produce a book like the Artists Guide to Materials for modelers.
Last edited by Kylwell on Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abolish Alliteration
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

Echoing Rob (the other one)

As someone who used MEK at work - several things come to mind if you decide to still use it

1) Wear gloves - latex at MINIMUM - preferably thick rubber ones
2) Breathing mask - WW-II surplus gas mask would do the trick
or
2a) Do all your work with this outside, on windy days only, with the wind at your back
or
2b) Open a window, put your work table in front of the window, large box fan behind you blowing towards the window

Or better yet - stick with Tenax or Ambroid Pro-Weld or Plastruct Weld
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
Beaveranger

Post by Beaveranger »

Yeah, I figured that would be the case. I don't plan on using it, just came across it in reading some stuff and figured some people here would have some experience with it. Thanks for the input guys.
Kylwell wrote:I really wish someone would produce a book like the Artists Guide to Materials for modelers.
There is one.... it's called the SSM Forums :P
"You should call Kenny Loggins and let him know you're in the 'Danger Zone,'
or have someone do it for you.....
DAANNGGGEEERR ZZOONNEE!!" -- Archer

My Blog
srspicer

Post by srspicer »

Hey B,

Someone talked about using this stuff last year.

MEK is used to dissolve various foams and plastics in the electro-plating process, amongst other things. It does a great job of dissolving and it has carcinogens in it.

I use Rez-n-bond. I buy it by the gallon because I use it professionally. It works just like all of the other solvents. You can apply it via brush, syringe, etc.

Glad you won't be using MEK. No hobbyist should be using it or even have some ' on hand ' IMHO.

Scott
AbsoluteSciFi

Post by AbsoluteSciFi »

Glad I read this, I bought a quart of MEK about a month ago- never got around to experimenting with it, but this sounds like hardcore stuff.
"He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick- is blind! But, he who sticks out in darkness is... Florescent!"
DM: "LOSE 50 experience points..."
Gamers II: Dorkness Rising

http://www.myspace.com/absolutescifi
SciFiGuy
srspicer

Post by srspicer »

Yea, IMO AbsoluteSciFi, return it and purchase some Rez-N-Bond or similar solvent. :8)

Scott
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

[Raises Hand]

I'm no chemist, but I have a question:

Most liquid cements have, at least either MEK and/or methylene chloride as their active ingredients, along with xylene. But, I've heard lots of people rail against buying your MEK or methylene chloride due to health concerns, citing the benefits of using regular strength (not non-toxic) Tenax, Bondene, and Testor's Cement. What is the difference in using two or three toxic chemicals in small bottles from a hobby supplier versus using the ones purchased from a hardware store or plastics supplier? I buy my MEK once a decade, I guess, from Lowe's and I still have a brown glass bottle with a stopper (looks like an old-fashioned medicine bottle) with methylene chloride in it.

Thoughts?

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Tenax, and most others, are Methyene Chloride which while not good to ingest, isn't as readily absorbed through the lungs (IIRC). MEK has a much lower flash point which means more vapors, so while MC has more severe health warnings, you're less likely to need to heed them.

MC MSDS
MEK MSDS

If you're looking for some light reading.
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Kylwell wrote:Tenax, and most others, are Methyene Chloride which while not good to ingest, isn't as readily absorbed through the lungs (IIRC). MEK has a much lower flash point which means more vapors, so while MC has more severe health warnings, you're less likely to need to heed them.

MC MSDS
MEK MSDS

If you're looking for some light reading.
Ahh. I hadn't considered the flash point relative amounts of each in the air. I just know they both smell good. ;) So I guess the argument in order of preference would be as follows:

Tenax/Tenax clones
Testor's Cement (MEK heavy)
Methylene Chloride stright from the bottle
MEK
A dragon to melt the pieces together for you.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

A magical dragon?...
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Kylwell wrote:A magical dragon?...
No, no, no...that would be crazy. A komodo dragon. I'm pretty sure their saliva will melt plastic as well as flesh. :D

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

srspicer

Post by srspicer »

Thanks for posting the MSDS, Kylwell.

I took a look at REZ-N-Bond, since I have several quarts on hand, and found it had MC in it, which I was unaware. :shock: I knew it did not have MEK in it.

The only difference with R-N-B, is that it welds ABS together and styrene to ABS. I don't know if Tenax or Testors will do that.

Scott
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Give me a bit & I'll check...
Abolish Alliteration