Best filler for resin

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

mike_espo

Best filler for resin

Post by mike_espo »

Hello. I looked through the forum, and just wanted to know what is the best filler material for filling resin pinholes?

I tried white Squadron putty mixed with acetone, CA glue and Mr. Surfacer 500. All have their weaknesses.

Any thoughts or opinions would be most helpful.

thanks
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Bondo spot putty.

I also used something from Liquitex that you spread on also. Forget what it is called. Use water to wipe down the excess and then lightly sand smooth.
"Things fall apart... It's Scientific" Talking Heads
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Aves paste!
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

Bondo spot putty, cheap, easy to find.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Do you have a lot of pinholes to fill?

I had a resin figure kit that had a lot of pinholes in one area, I could never get them all filled since they were so small the filler would not go into the holes, plus sanding kept opening up more pinholes. I ended up skinning over the area with filler/primer and snaded it smooth, being careful not to sand through it.

Ken
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

If it's tons of pin hole Mr. Surfacer is the best. You can paint it on and it'll fill many of the pinholes

For seam filling I use Aves regular putty. Push the soft putty into the seam and then smooth it with a small flat brush and alcoho.

If you are coming to Wonderfest this year TER-OR, Joe Brown and I will be teaching a class on Sunday all about how to use expoy putty including seam filling.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
mike_espo

Post by mike_espo »

Am building the 1/1400 PNT Ennex o won. (NX-01) Great quality kit, but a few pinholes.

Using med CA. I may have to get some more Mr Surfacer 500. :(
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

I use Squadron Green mixed with Testors Liquid Cement. The trick is in HOW you fill the pinholes and air bubbles. What I do is carve out the upper "skin" of the offending hole until it becomes more of a divot. If you leave it as a bubble under the surface, you have to force putty in until it curves around and fills the bubble. If you carve it out into divot form, now it's the same as filling a seam - no undercut surfaces to worry about.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by starmanmm »

Ok... now that I am home... Liquitex Modeling Paste works wonders on small holes. Wipe off excess with a damp paper towel.
"Things fall apart... It's Scientific" Talking Heads
mike_espo

Post by mike_espo »

Thanks for all the replys. :D I used CA and am letting it cure. Ill see how it goes. :-k
jasonius

Post by jasonius »

I know this is a bit late, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents. I used to use resin to fill gaps. I mixed it with microballoons to thicken it up a bit, and used cheap disposable paintbrushes to paint on some surfaces, or toothpicks or just chunks of whatever in smaller applications. It leaves a good sandable surface and is just as hard and sturdy as your actual model. I used to do the same to glue resin pieces together. You have to be really careful about leakage, though, or you'll be doing some extra sanding (or even carving) to try to bring back some lost detail. I did it more with creature/monster figures, though, where shapes were more organic and I wasn't afraid to file away and create my own shapes in the event of a disaster. Now I pin and CA glue, but I imagine I do that mostly because using resin as glue/filler is also a pain in the arse.