Decal pronunciation

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

prisoner_1079

Decal pronunciation

Post by prisoner_1079 »

I've seen two videos recently where the builders are pronouncing the word 'decal' different than how I learned it as a kid, just wondering how you all pronounce this word. Do you pronounce it Dee-Cal or Deck-ull?
Currently building: 1:2500 Prolemy Tug/Freighter and Finish painting Gold 2 X-wing from box scale ERTL X-wing based on XW Alliance game. See website for progress.

https://heimdudebro.wordpress.com/
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Both ways are correct, or wrong. Depending on where you live. I say Deck-ull.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Marco Scheloske

Post by Marco Scheloske »

I say "Dee-Cal".

Sounds better than "Wasserschiebebild" (water slide picture), the correct german term for it.
Greetings from Germany -
"In glue we trust!" - http://technomaniaweb.jimdo.com

Marco
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

So far every time I've see a video with someone saying "deck-ull" they turn out to be from Canada. Videos (that I've seen) from Europe, the US, and even Asia, all say "dee-cal."

The last time this was brought up someone posted an explanation of the pronunciation, but I have long forgotten what that was.

The lesson: If you're ever talking to someone from Canada pretending to be from the US (which would normally be fairly easy), just ask them to talk about model kits. :wink:

Of course why anyone would want to pretend to be from here is a whole other issue.

-Rog
eeun

Post by eeun »

Rogviler wrote:So far every time I've see a video with someone saying "deck-ull" they turn out to be from Canada.
Ask us about soldering, too!

(sodder, for Canadians; not sol-durr, or soldier, or however Johnny Foreigner pronounces it. :D )
World's Tallest Jawa!
TheMilkmanCometh

Post by TheMilkmanCometh »

And then there's "de-CAL".
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

From the UK and I say Deck-ull....

Then again, I was born in Canada :D
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

However you say it.....it's short for Decalcomania, a process invented in England. I say DE-CAL because since I built my first model almost 50 years ago that's what it was called. But the folks in the UK invented it.....so..... :D
Underlord

Perhaps regional

Post by Underlord »

I'm from southern New England in the US, and I've always said it just like dictionary.com says it... abet, not with an intellectually sexy female voice. I have my wife for that! :)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/decal

I understand it when people say it different ways. It just goes to show that many people are book-smart or learned from other people who say things differently.

Interestingly enough, the longer form sounds more like deck-ull in the beginning! *sigh*
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Decalcomania

You say toe-may-toe, I say toe-mot-toe :) ... but I actually just say tomato. ;)
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

tonyG2 wrote:From the UK and I say Deck-ull....

Then again, I was born in Canada :D
Me too (both pronunciation and being born in Canada). However, a lot of brits call them 'transfers' thus getting around the pronunciation issue.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
scratchy

Post by scratchy »

It's "Deck-ull" .... Eh!
LiebeVision

Post by LiebeVision »

I have the strangest feeling of deja vu with this thread.

Didn't we go over this a while back...?
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

DEE-CAL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Normal?? What is normal??
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I've always pronounced it dee-cal, and probably always will.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
face

Post by face »

I get this all the time on my youtube channel, to the point that I've grown rather weary of explaining it... I'm trying to train myself to refer to them as markings, but it's slow progress
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

Isn't the vowel "A" after the consonant "C", cause the vowel "E" to have a long sound? Following the rules of proper English of course...but there are always exceptions to a rule...especially in the English language.

TazMan2000
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

TazMan2000 wrote:Isn't the vowel "A" after the consonant "C", cause the vowel "E" to have a long sound? Following the rules of proper English of course...but there are always exceptions to a rule...especially in the English language.

TazMan2000
Not quite... It sort of depends on the word itself. If the "de-" bit is a prefix to the root, then it will general be pronounced "dee", as in decamp, decant. However, if the word is not modified by a prefix, then it will normally be pronounced with a short "e" as in decade, decadent. Of course, decal is short for decalcomaie, which itself is an anglisisation of a French word which they would pronounce d'cal or deckal.

Being born a Canadian, brought up in southern England, worked most of my life in the English Midlands and lived the last six years in Lowlands Scotland, I doubt I ever pronounce decal the same way twice.

At least I don't call them "deckles".
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
LiebeVision

Post by LiebeVision »

Seriously didn't w just do this thread in like november/december? I'm having this HUGE deja vu feeling with this one.....

Like word for word.
Last edited by LiebeVision on Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prisoner_1079

Post by prisoner_1079 »

I came back to modeling in February, pardon me, sir. :D
Currently building: 1:2500 Prolemy Tug/Freighter and Finish painting Gold 2 X-wing from box scale ERTL X-wing based on XW Alliance game. See website for progress.

https://heimdudebro.wordpress.com/
Malcolm M

Post by Malcolm M »

I say Deck-ull, I'm from the UK.

However my American wife pronounces it Dee-Cal

And it's soLder not sodder there is an L in there gentlemen :) This one drives my wife crazy, whenever she's around I make sure to pronounce it "SoLLLder" :twisted: