From spray can to airbrush bottle

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

nurturer

From spray can to airbrush bottle

Post by nurturer »

Anyone know if it's possible to transfer paint from a spray paint can, to an airbrush bottle and use that same spray can paint effectively through an airbrush.

Reason being, I've found the color I want in a spray can, but I want greater and more precise control that an airbrush offers.
mtyler

Post by mtyler »

I've had the same exact question. The professional modeler at my local Hobbytown said he's heard of people using the plastic straw that comes with WD40 or canned air to spray into a taped and vented airbrush bottle. It sounds like it would work, but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually done it.
"He's dead, Jim"

"I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer."
...to which Kirk replies, "You're a healer, there's a patient. That's an order."
nurturer

Post by nurturer »

Just found this . . .

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/tutorials ... brush.html

Says for opaque paints, they'll need to be thinned at about 30%.
mtyler

Post by mtyler »

That's perfect. It looks like the author has done this successfully more than just a few times. Thanks for the link.
"He's dead, Jim"

...to which Kirk replies, "You're a healer, there's a patient. That's an order."
Beaveranger

Post by Beaveranger »

It's called decanting.... many vids out there, just Google it.
"You should call Kenny Loggins and let him know you're in the 'Danger Zone,'
or have someone do it for you.....
DAANNGGGEEERR ZZOONNEE!!" -- Archer

My Blog
mtyler

Post by mtyler »

Beaveranger wrote:It's called decanting.... many vids out there, just Google it.
Just curious, have you done this? (the decanting; we're good with the googling). If so, how did it go? Thanks for any helpful commentary.
"He's dead, Jim"

Beaveranger

Post by Beaveranger »

Haven't done it with paints, (simply cuz I haven't come across the need to) have done it with hairspray for the hairspray weathering technique. Hairspray Technique

Same principle tho. Just gotta be careful about overspray and fumes.

My Blog
mtyler

Post by mtyler »

Thanks Beaveranger.
"He's dead, Jim"

Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I do it through a drinking straw. Spray through straw and let sit for a bit to degas (learned this degassing step from someone here's site) for 10 minutes. Then I pour into A/B bottle, straining of course to filter out any dried media that formed during or after the decanting.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Funny thing - that's one of the tips in the latest issue of Fine Scale Modeler.

Kev
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

This one has a vid with it......

http://gamerabaenre.com/?page_id=1347
"Things fall apart... It's Scientific" Talking Heads
lensman1

Post by lensman1 »

i have been decanting my own my own tamiya spray paint for a while after seeing a tutorial on tamiyas website and putting it through the airbrush.
i love using lacquers to spray with, they offer great coverage and level well with a really durable finish but are extremely toxic so a spraymask should be used while handling them.
i would use gaianotes lacquers if they were readily available and cheap but they are not.
i just started work on my first gundam master grade kit and experimented with decanting Belton Molotow graffiti spraypaint which i picked up in a local hip hop shop.
i always decant using a custom graffiti spray mixing cap which can be purchased online for about £2.00.
i used a batch of 032 shokblue and sprayed some test pieces primed with decanted vallejo grey primer(this is rubbish from the spraycan but when decanted then a couple of drops of pactra lacquer thinners is my primer of choice)against other brands of paint. if anybody wants to see images of my test pieces i will gladly post them up.
after my initial experiment with Belton molotow i have ordered a set of primary colours in 600ml cans to experiment with at £4.50 a pop. i have also ordered a belton swatch and colour mixing guide so i can get into the science of colour mixing.
the savings to be made by using this paint if it works are incredible and the paint colours they offer are really popping colours used for graffiti art,
i think it is the premium paint of choice for graff artists.

1. always let the paint rest(degas) after decanting or you will end up in a big mess
2. always wear a mask and nitrile gloves when handling lacquer thinners

i will keep people updated with my belton experiments for me it looks like a winner for me for painting the bright gundam colours i want
lensman1

Post by lensman1 »

i have been decanting my own my own tamiya spray paint for a while after seeing a tutorial on tamiyas website and putting it through the airbrush.
i love using lacquers to spray with, they offer great coverage and level well with a really durable finish but are extremely toxic so a spraymask should be used while handling them.
i would use gaianotes lacquers if they were readily available and cheap but they are not.
i just started work on my first gundam master grade kit and experimented with decanting Belton Molotow graffiti spraypaint which i picked up in a local hip hop shop.
i always decant using a custom graffiti spray mixing cap which can be purchased online for about £2.00.
i used a batch of 032 shokblue and sprayed some test pieces primed with decanted vallejo grey primer(this is rubbish from the spraycan but when decanted then a couple of drops of pactra lacquer thinners is my primer of choice)against other brands of paint. if anybody wants to see images of my test pieces i will gladly post them up.
after my initial experiment with Belton molotow i have ordered a set of primary colours in 600ml cans to experiment with at £4.50 a pop. i have also ordered a belton swatch and colour mixing guide so i can get into the science of colour mixing.
the savings to be made by using this paint if it works are incredible and the paint colours they offer are really popping colours used for graffiti art,

1. always let the paint rest(degas) after decanting or you will end up in a big mess

i will keep people updated with my belton experiments for me it looks like a winner for me for painting the bright gundam colours i want
lensman1

belton molotow premium spraypaint

Post by lensman1 »

lensman1

Post by lensman1 »

lensman1

Post by lensman1 »

starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Repeat ourselves much? :evillaugh: :wink:
lensman1

Post by lensman1 »

sorry about the repeats, new to this forum and forum posting in general
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

lensman1 wrote:i have been decanting my own my own tamiya spray paint for a while after seeing a tutorial on tamiyas website and putting it through the airbrush.
Link to the Tamiya Article: "Decanting Tamiya Sprays"
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

lensman1 wrote:
sorry about the repeats, new to this forum and forum posting in general
No biggy.... was fun to read it over and over again tho! :P :wink:
nurturer

Post by nurturer »

Tried it with Rustoleum Orange and it worked like a champ. No thinning, but it was messy getting the paint from the can to the airbrush bottle.

I filled it outside and without the straw. I found the straw made things messier. What I did find was that as the airbrush bottle gets fuller, the aersol from the can will 'blow' paint in the airbursh bottle as it is filling. Like I said - MESSY. but worth it. I can spray the Rustoleum Orange in a more controlled spray and it's the perfect color for what I want.

Something tells me I'll be doing this more often now.
Beaveranger

Post by Beaveranger »

You could decant it from the spray bottle into a larger jar to reduce mess. Then transfer to your airbrush jar. I have a gravity feed brush, so this is how I have to do it... Yeah, you may lose a little paint in the transfer, but it would make it less messy.

My Blog
nurturer

Post by nurturer »

Beaveranger wrote:You could decant it from the spray bottle into a larger jar to reduce mess. Then transfer to your airbrush jar. I have a gravity feed brush, so this is how I have to do it... Yeah, you may lose a little paint in the transfer, but it would make it less messy.
That'll be the way I go next time. Thanks.
eeun

Post by eeun »

I spray into a piece of 1/2" ID PVC pipe. The larger hole is an easier target to hit, instead of spraying my hand. :) Decant into an old 35mm film jar. No need for filtering when pouring it into the airbrush cup, and I've never experienced any gassing problems.

This it how I apply primer 90% of the time, as I'm usually working on small enough parts that going straight from the can either wastes too much, or doesn't coat evenly over fine detail without risking overspray.

I always do this in my spray booth to avoid fumes.
World's Tallest Jawa!
Space Garbageman

Post by Space Garbageman »

So after decanting what should I use to thin Dupli-Color Sandable Primer, if at all? I can't tell if it's lacquer or enamel based.