Micro Krystal Klear

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

paradoxum

Micro Krystal Klear

Post by paradoxum »

http://www.emodels.co.uk/plastic-kits/p ... s_id=24623

has anyone used this? how easy is it to make tiny starship windows out of if you are just filling in the holes, is it runny or thick? would it run any paint it comes into contact with?
The Mad Klingon

Post by The Mad Klingon »

It's just white glue.
Ridged for her pleasure.

<a href="http://www.fpkclub.com/"> www.fpkclub.com</a>
Thomas E. Johnson

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

Its white glue, but its a more viscus version of it. Its made so it won't run or drip.
Thomas E. Johnson
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

It's similar to white glue. It's a bit thicker (IIRC) and has a longer polymer chain.

And unlike Elmer's, dries crystal clear and won't yellow.
Abolish Alliteration
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

Definitely thicker in use than Elmers - I've seen some fogging with the Elmers, never with the Krystal Klear

Won't harm the paint at all
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

I've used this for small flat windows, and it works fine. Not so good for curved windows, though, as surface tension can pull the clear film into some odd curves.

Another thing you should note is that it remains water soluble--so if, sometime in the future, you decide to wash your model to clean the dust off, your windows go away.
paradoxum

Post by paradoxum »

can you spray topcoat over it or will the windows fog up?

these are the kinds of windows i'm going to be doing it with; http://www.starshipmodeler.com/trek/jk_ ... indows.jpg

would I just use I dunno, a toothpick and dab a bit of it on the end and fill the window in? I can just see it getting REALLY messy if I screw up.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Presuming that you're in the UK, Humbrol ClearFix may be your best bet or, if you can get it, Johnsons Klear (Americans call it Future) This has been discontinued in the UK, but ASDA regularly stock it still. Aplply with a wooden cocktail stick. ClearFix is fairly viscous, whereas Klear is a bit runnier.

Generally, you apply these sorts of windows after all your other painting and varnishing. They can fog up with a topcoat, but if you apply a matt finish then your windows will be matt.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson