Airbrush recommendations sought..

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Skibumwi

Airbrush recommendations sought..

Post by Skibumwi »

I'm interested in an airbrush and I'm looking for recommendations. I'm leaning toward the dual mode version. I'm not looking for the top-o-the class but want one that will allow me room to grow in my modeling. I'll need a compressor too...

Thanks,
Ski
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Have a read through the AB survey thread: http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/vie ... php?t=4204

I recommend the Iwata Revolution or Eclipse. Very sturdy, easy to clean, last forever.

As compressors go, quiet costs more but means you can use it @ odd hours of the night.

You'll also want to consider a spray booth.
Abolish Alliteration
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

If you go Iwata, pick the Eclipse over the Revolution. You'll grow into its capabilities and it's much easier to maintain.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
talon

Post by talon »

I highly recommend the Eclipse also. I suggest the gravity feed cup over the siphon feed. It seemed like when I used the siphon feed cups I'd end up rinsing out a lot of paint when I only wanted to spray a small amount.
Rob "Talon" Holts
Acreation Models
http://www.acreationmodels.com

"If my calculations are correct, once this thing hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious $@*&!"
Skibumwi

Post by Skibumwi »

talon wrote:I highly recommend the Eclipse also. I suggest the gravity feed cup over the siphon feed. It seemed like when I used the siphon feed cups I'd end up rinsing out a lot of paint when I only wanted to spray a small amount.
I have been leaning toward the gravity feed for this very reason and it appears that the Iwata has wide-spread support. At this time I think it comes down to the Iwata or the Badger 360 which, I feel, may offer greater flexibility.

The other question would be which compressor to pair with the airbrush. It would seem that a air storage tank might result in some advantages but I'd like to hear of specific compressor that y'all might recommend.

Thanks again,
Ski
talon

Post by talon »

Skibumwi wrote:
talon wrote:I highly recommend the Eclipse also. I suggest the gravity feed cup over the siphon feed. It seemed like when I used the siphon feed cups I'd end up rinsing out a lot of paint when I only wanted to spray a small amount.
I have been leaning toward the gravity feed for this very reason and it appears that the Iwata has wide-spread support. At this time I think it comes down to the Iwata or the Badger 360 which, I feel, may offer greater flexibility.

The other question would be which compressor to pair with the airbrush. It would seem that a air storage tank might result in some advantages but I'd like to hear of specific compressor that y'all might recommend.

Thanks again,
Ski
I have 2 Iwatas. The Eclipse BCS (siphon feed) and the Custom Micron C+ (ultra high-end gravity cup feed). Both have served me very well. The CM is awesome, but you really seem to have to baby it because there are so many settings and it produces such a fine spray. Great for subtle and super fine work. The Eclipse is way more durable. Its been banged around, stripped apart and cleaned so many times and the only thing thats needed replacement are needles, which only cost around $20 a piece so its not a big deal.

In regards to the compressor, I got mine with the Eclipse BCS which I bought as a combo from another art student at the university I went to, but it has performed well. You will want to consider noise for one, there are several "quiet" models, which I have. Its still noisy but not overly loud. I've forgotten it on and slept through it all night sleeping in the next room over. Then there are pretty loud compressors. Mine only has a small tank, but it seems good enough. I get a few minutes of non-stop brushing before it needs to catch up, and only takes a minute or two to get there, so I just set the airbrush in the holder and arrange more parts for paint while I wait. Not a big deal. I also use Acrylics so there's no real "work window" if I'm trying to spray something big. The only MUST HAVE is a moisture filter on your out-going line. It will filter out any water that the compressor drew in if you're working while its humid. I've at best only had a small drop collect but I live in the desert. You just have to turn a valve to empty it and close it again. You can get filters that attach to the airbrush but they're more expensive and you have to get one that fits your brush. My Custom Micron C+ came with one but I've never used it, but I keep it with it in the case in case I take my brush somewhere else (like WF) to use and they dont have a moisture filter.
Rob "Talon" Holts
Acreation Models
http://www.acreationmodels.com

"If my calculations are correct, once this thing hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious $@*&!"
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

parts for the Badger 360 will be less expensive than for the Iwata. It's a 155 Anthem with that rotating nose. The color cup is small, but you can add one as a side feed or bottom feed. You probably will be better served with a gravity-fed Anthem. Badger stands by their brushes, as does Iwata. From a service and availability standpoint, you're fine with both.

I can say Iwata does a lot to support our little band of misfits here...and one rep is a member.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
bobity0466

Post by bobity0466 »

I use the Iwata Eclipse and it is pretty good and I would recommend it. It is easy to use and clean.
"The force is strong with this one." - Darth Vader