Tamiya Aerosol gloss on decals

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Matty1973

Tamiya Aerosol gloss on decals

Post by Matty1973 »

Ok I used tamiya aerosol semi gloss over some decals and a few shriveled, is this caused by the aerosol? And if yes will it be better if I use a water based gloss via airbrush for sealing my decals?

Future is not available in Australia, so please do not give me that as an option

Thanks
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

The Tamiya gloss spray is, as far as I know, an acrylic varnish which should be OK for decals. However, if the decals were still somewhat damp and had not dried thouroughly, any varnish can shrivel them up. Tamiya also do a rather 'hotter' varnish intened for use with polycarbonate car bodies - this is more or less guaranteed to destroy decals.

As far as Future/Klear alternatives in Austrralia I hear that there's Pascoe's Long Life as being similar and this was originally marketed under the name Rekkit's, so you may find it on sale under this brand in certain areas. Likely outlets in Australia include Bunnings, Coles Supermarkets, Newmart, Supa Valu. You may also be able to get Johnson's Wipe & Shine which is what Future/Klear is called in the Far East.

Aside from those, Rowney's or Windsor & Newton's clear acrylic varnishes are gentle on decals.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Matty1973

Post by Matty1973 »

So I just read the label of the gloss and guess what it says do not spray on decals or stickers, oooooh that could have been costly
PetarB

Post by PetarB »

I've used Tamiya gloss over decals with no problems - Hasegawa and Bandai decal sets mainly. I did have a problem a long time ago - but I had not allowed them enough time to dry.
Matty1973

Post by Matty1973 »

PetarB wrote:I've used Tamiya gloss over decals with no problems - Hasegawa and Bandai decal sets mainly. I did have a problem a long time ago - but I had not allowed them enough time to dry.
\

turns out there are 2 types, one ok for model kits the other for polycarbonate shells i.e for remote control cars