Weathering - how much is too much?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

hark

Weathering - how much is too much?

Post by hark »

Is it simply a subjective thing?
I've read critiques here and there where the reviewer/enjoyer mentioned how the modeler/craftsman didn't go over the top with weathering - it seemed to be a no-no.

Would many/most of you consider the crazy-good weathering on the Falcon/X-wing, etc models featured here -
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/starwars/smith_sw.htm
to be a bit much?
I'm thinking, as in any artistry, that it is very subjective, beautiful weathering detail, to whatever the extent is in the eye of the beholder.
Thoughts? Experiences?

As a side note, as I gaze and gawk at the ILM models, it occurs to me that you could look at them and not be sure they weren't full-size, very very real aircraft, etc.
talon

Post by talon »

It depends on the subject. It is subjective also, what may be fine for the builder might be not enough or too much for someone else.

My opinion is that for shading panel scribes, less is more. When you're painting it, with the mask in place, if its noticable its too much. It takes practice on scrap to get to where you can shade the edge but not see any difference, lift the mask and then its visible. For smoke, soot and burns, start with less. as the saying goes, its easy to add more paint, but once its on you cant undo it without stripping all the paint.
Rob "Talon" Holts
Acreation Models
http://www.acreationmodels.com

"If my calculations are correct, once this thing hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious $@*&!"
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

You can never have too much weathering, just too heavy handed of weathering.

The more you weather, the finer you get. Start coarse & work to finer & finer levels.

The ILM models, like the big MF, are awesome so long as you keep some distance. Get up close and you can see where they bounced a Dremel across to get some interesting effects and the weathering starts to look coarse.

We, as hobby modelers, have the time to do amazing levels of weathering. Spilled fuel stains, micro paint variations, super fine chipped paint, rust bubbling, etc.
Abolish Alliteration
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

The one thing that SO many people seem to pass over in weathering is the fading of paint and spot rusting...
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
hark

Post by hark »

I've noticed the way paint fading is done recently on the weathering jobs that really float my boat, and intend to try for the effect in Photoshop to apply to my latest 3D mess. Spot rust I am usually pretty decent with, but it does often end up as something else when I get carried away. I get off easy if I mess up, I just delete the layer in Photoshop. I can't accidentally spill paint on my model though, which is a bonus to virtual modeling, but it's just as heartbreaking if I accidentally hit 'Don't save' after an hour's work.
If I forget the golden rule of PC development; 'Save Early, Save Often', the lunchbag letdown when you lose your best work is a heartbreak. I don't even want to talk about hard drive crashes. (Lost three wicked, finished models last year, I guess the equivalent for you guys would be to knock a leg off of the workbench and watch three gorgeous original builds crash to pieces on the floor! :roll: