Mk2 Viper Disaster: Errant Spray Paint

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Matt1982

Mk2 Viper Disaster: Errant Spray Paint

Post by Matt1982 »

Woe is me. Woe is me. :(

I was very proud of how my Mk2 Viper was coming. The paint was clean and even and my red striping were perfect. However, upon my last red stripe and what I thought was enough masking tape to go to the moon, the paint found a channel and sprayed my perfectly white gloss side with a mist of red.

Perfection gone! What is the best course of action? I think there is none :(
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Depending on the paint you might be able to wipe it off. Paint that's found a crack usually has a low adhesion. With acrylics a damp cloth will take most of it off if not all. Then fade some more gloss white over the remaining pink to cover it up fully.

With enamels use some white spirits (there I go again, pulling the racial card) or turpentine and gently, oh so gently try to wipe the worse of it off using a barely dampened swab. Then over the top with more white.
Abolish Alliteration
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

You could also give it a very light sanding with 4,000 grit sandpaper from a paint polishing kit. I have one from LMG that goes from 3,200 up to 12,000 grit.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Wet-sanding has worked well for me in the past.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Scanam2006

Post by Scanam2006 »

another solution is polishing compound like Novus #2. I have been able to eliminate a lot of overspray with it. Be careful and don't polish too much to remove the base paint