A good vise for holding bottles?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Callandor

A good vise for holding bottles?

Post by Callandor »

Anyone know of a good vise that I could use to hold paint bottles such as model master while I open them? I only have one hand and I would rather not break a tooth trying to use my teeth. :D I am looking for something to secure the bottles on the table so I can open and close them. Any suggestions?
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Something like a lab stand clamp could work-Here is a picture of a few:
http://www.indigo.com/science-supplies/ ... stand.html
These are made to hold glassware, but you might have to hold the clamp in a vise. I checked eBay and there are a bunch available.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Just about any vise will do provided you can get soft jaw pads for it.

http://www.shopwiki.com/VISE+SOFT+JAW+P ... +VISE+JAWS
Abolish Alliteration
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Have you looked at the various powered kitchen jar openers on the market?

In the past I've used one of those v-shaped serrated jar openers that mounts under a kitchen cabinet to open stubborn jars.

Ken
Callandor

Post by Callandor »

We actually have one of the powerd jar openers, but the bottles are too short. I am not familiar w/ the V-shaped ones.
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Do what I do, place the jar in a cup of some type UPSIDE down and poor just enough rubbing alcholo so t it comes up to the bottom of the lid and let it soak for as long as needed. Or just take 2 pairs of plyors 1 to 'grab' the bottle and the other to 'grab' the lid and twist in opposite directions.
Normal?? What is normal??
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

irishtrek wrote:Do what I do, place the jar in a cup of some type UPSIDE down and poor just enough rubbing alcholo so t it comes up to the bottom of the lid and let it soak for as long as needed. Or just take 2 pairs of plyors 1 to 'grab' the bottle and the other to 'grab' the lid and twist in opposite directions.
Ya didn't read the part about "I only have one hand" did ya?
Abolish Alliteration
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I have rubber bands from broccoli to give me grip opening those stubborn bottles...
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Kylwell wrote:
irishtrek wrote:Do what I do, place the jar in a cup of some type UPSIDE down and poor just enough rubbing alcholo so t it comes up to the bottom of the lid and let it soak for as long as needed. Or just take 2 pairs of plyors 1 to 'grab' the bottle and the other to 'grab' the lid and twist in opposite directions.
Only 1 hand? Are you sure he wasn't being saracastic? Because that's what I knda thought.
Normal?? What is normal??
Wug

Post by Wug »

A pair of strap wrenches are perfect for paint bottles.

Mike
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

irishtrek wrote:
Kylwell wrote:
Only 1 hand? Are you sure he wasn't being saracastic? Because that's what I knda thought.
He's not the only 1 handed modeler I know of. Our local model pimp has limited use of his left hand, makes opening most bottle impossible.
Abolish Alliteration
Kolschey
Location: What? You mean the chip in my head isn't working?!? Don't tell me you have to drill another hole..

Post by Kolschey »

With the square Testors bottles, I put them in a vice I got from Harbor Freight that has rubber covers for the teeth, and then use a vice grips on the lid. While I do this with two hands, it is definitely possible to do this with one hand if you break it down into basic steps.

Hope this helps.
Callandor

Post by Callandor »

I literally have one hand. I lost my right hand in a car accident several years ago. It makes opening bottles and closing them tightly a real bitch. My wife always gets on to me for using my teeth :oops: .
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Having one hand is not something I'd jest about.

You can get soft jaw covers for most any vice. Worse comes to worse, you can use some silicone pot handlers to soften the jaws.
Abolish Alliteration
Tony Agustin

Post by Tony Agustin »

I know someone from the Robot Mafia might need a job:
http://slurmed.com/fanart/leelas-loyal- ... -slave.png